Another rifle build brain storm.

Eselkopf1

Just for fun discussion and brain storming.

I just got gifted an old Savage 110 in 270 win. It was a village rifle up here in Alaska and its beat to death, I doubt the barrel is even straight on it. But hey! Might be a free action. I am going to have a smith here tear it down and inspect it to see if its a good donor. Either way if the project gets done it will continue to get beat to death.

This is my first self built, and first "wildcat". I have hand loaded about 6 or 7 years now. I am considering two directions to go with the action.

First idea is 35 whelen, or similar. This would be a tight country bear and moose thumper, low power optic, shortish barrel. Set up for 225-250 grain barnes bullets. Seems like an easy option. My main issue with this option is deciding barrel length, I want it short but also optimized.

The other idea is a little more complicated, might not even be realistic. I basically have a two rifle problem with predator hunting right now, and I am trying to select a cartridge that solves it. Fox and lynx are pretty squishy, and wolves are not. Fox, lynx, wolverine, and wolf hides are still valuable if they are in good shape. I am far enough north in Alaska that the trees get real sparse, so lots of open country and very deep snow so getting closer isn't usually a realistic option.

Basically thinking this will be a spicy and overly complicated 243 win or 22-250 just because. An 800-1000 yard capable predator rifle like a 6.5-06 or 6mm-06. A 200 yard shot would be pretty close in the country I am talking about. I would like a shorter barrel, 20-22 inch or so. Skiing and snowshoeing with a 26 incher is awful. I have other longer options already. I currently use 204 for predators, but I don't target wolf. I have never been inside of about 400 yards of a wolf and the 204 is out of gas at that point. I have not decided on the cartridge and not sure what bullet weight to go with.

Any discussion or advice would be helpful, thanks.

I just got gifted an old Savage 110 in 270 win. It was a village rifle up here in Alaska and its beat to death, I doubt the barrel is even straight on it. But hey! Might be a free action. I am going to have a smith here tear it down and inspect it to see if its a good donor. Either way if the project gets done it will continue to get beat to death.

This is my first self built, and first "wildcat". I have hand loaded about 6 or 7 years now. I am considering two directions to go with the action.

First idea is 35 whelen, or similar. This would be a tight country bear and moose thumper, low power optic, shortish barrel. Set up for 225-250 grain barnes bullets. Seems like an easy option. My main issue with this option is deciding barrel length, I want it short but also optimized.

The other idea is a little more complicated, might not even be realistic. I basically have a two rifle problem with predator hunting right now, and I am trying to select a cartridge that solves it. Fox and lynx are pretty squishy, and wolves are not. Fox, lynx, wolverine, and wolf hides are still valuable if they are in good shape. I am far enough north in Alaska that the trees get real sparse, so lots of open country and very deep snow so getting closer isn't usually a realistic option.

Basically thinking this will be a spicy and overly complicated 243 win or 22-250 just because. An 800-1000 yard capable predator rifle like a 6.5-06 or 6mm-06. A 200 yard shot would be pretty close in the country I am talking about. I would like a shorter barrel, 20-22 inch or so. Skiing and snowshoeing with a 26 incher is awful. I have other longer options already. I currently use 204 for predators, but I don't target wolf. I have never been inside of about 400 yards of a wolf and the 204 is out of gas at that point. I have not decided on the cartridge and not sure what bullet weight to go with.

First things first. Have that action checked out and make sure that you are not throwing good money at bad. If the Action and bolt are not sloppy, fairly true then check the firing pin, spring, ejector (probably should be replaced anyway). If the Action/Bolt is good then what about a stock/chassis. As for the barrel would not go less that 22" if you want longer shots.
Then your caliber if going to be for Moose/bear go with a 7mm up. You already have a long Action so if going for deer predators at long range 6.5-06, 6mm06. 6.5X284.
For everything a 6.5, with lighter or heavy bullets.

I'm a big fan of the .260 Rem myself and have had no problem with it on coyotes out to 800yds or more.

It would also be great for Caribou and Black tail.

You might be better off in the long run though with the 6.5PRC, same bullet, just a little more gas.

Why not 260 for the wolf gun? Still can get factory ammo if you're in a pinch but can also tailor a nice hand load. Capable out to 1k with heavies. I've never hunted wolf so I don't know how tough they are but I would think a 6mm minimum and up would be suitable.
Viable option. Its not so much that Wolves are hard to kill, its that its easy to pop a lynx like a grape.

Viable option. Its not so much that Wolves are hard to kill, its that its easy to pop a lynx like a grape.
Shoot a good bonded bullet or mono and they won't pop. Should just pencil right through with very little damage.

The biggest bobcat I've killed to date was shot with a 180gr Accubond at just shy of 300yds with the 300 Rum and it was still "mountable".

First things first. Have that action checked out and make sure that you are not throwing good money at bad. If the Action and bolt are not sloppy, fairly true then check the firing pin, spring, ejector (probably should be replaced anyway). If the Action/Bolt is good then what about a stock/chassis. As for the barrel would not go less that 22" if you want longer shots.
Then your caliber if going to be for Moose/bear go with a 7mm up. You already have a long Action so if going for deer predators at long range 6.5-06, 6mm06. 6.5X284.
For everything a 6.5, with lighter or heavy bullets.
7mag is my all rounder, its 26 inch before the suppressor. 162 grain eld-x's at 2960 FPS, mild but true.

Yeah the action is going to get checked out. It may not be a good donor as it is. Im still just brain storming for fun.

There in lies the problem. If you want to save the lynx pelt, the same gun/load may not get your wolf past 400. Saving small animal pelts and killing wolve at range may be a pipe dream.

There in lies the problem. If you want to save the lynx pelt, the same gun/load may not get your wolf past 400. Saving small animal pelts and killing wolve at range may be a pipe dream.
Yup, that is the two rifle problem. Confidently dropping wolf without tracking for miles, and blowing up fox and lynx. I think its solvable, just have to pick a really narrow slice of energy in the ballistics, and pick the right bullet.

Shoot a good bonded bullet or mono and they won't pop. Should just pencil right through with very little damage.

The biggest bobcat I've killed to date was shot with a 180gr Accubond at just shy of 300yds with the 300 Rum and it was still "mountable".
Sometimes they pencil, and sometimes...This was a 300Bee at 320 yards with a mono.

Attachments

• SD Coy.jpg
    SD Coy.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 107

JMO, like everyone else here: As much as I am a huge fan of the accuracy of a .22-250 past 600 yards, I would go with the (also highly accurate) .243 for a little extra oomph. (Just trying to provide feedback for you question. Not trying to sell you on my personal favorite)

I had an older 270 win 111FC and screwed a used 110 243 9.5 twist barrel onto it. It fed fine with the formed cases, some new brass would pop up and hit the top before going in the chamber. It was sub-MOA at 200 yards.

Seating long on the 243 got 100gr BTs running 3100 fps. Of course, a 6mm-06 would be the wildcat! Taking things out farther than a 243 or Creedmoor.

Get the barrel twist for the heavier bullets, down load some on lighter so you can save pelts. There are so many choices in 6mm bullets now.