.22 long rifle brain teaser

Buzzsaw

ok, yes, i failed math. i found myself in a long rang .22 rimfire league. ranges will be from 25-200 yards. so to find my exact drop data, i'm zeroing at 50 yards

THEN

put up a large target at 100 yards, measure drop in inches

then move it to 200 yards, measure drops in inches

then from here how do i set my come ups in MOA?

say at 200 yards its 40 inches drop, how many MOA on my elevation dial would this be? scope is nightforce SHV, 5-20, MOA

i will also chrono my ammo before hand but without a true .22. 40gr ballistic coefficient is sketchy at best

below is my 100 yard drop target for reference. orange dot is aiming point at 100yards

Attachments

• IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
The picture of the bullet drop at 100 yards brings back my childhood memories. I could put the cross hair of my Weaver K4 (4 power) scope on the top of a long neck beer bottle at 100 paces and bust it with my Sears Model 1 single shot rifle shooting off hand most of the time. I was a crack shot as a kid, practically lived with that rifle in my hands if I was not working mowing yards, working in hay fields or tobacco fields to raise money to by more ammo. LOL Box of 22 lr averaged fifty cents.

The picture of the bullet drop at 100 yards brings back my childhood memories. I could put the cross hair of my Weaver K4 (4 power) scope on the top of a long neck beer bottle at 100 paces and bust it with my Sears Model 1 single shot rifle shooting off hand most of the time. I was a crack shot as a kid, practically lived with that rifle in my hands if I was not working mowing yards, working in hay fields or tobacco fields to raise money to by more ammo. LOL Box of 22 lr averaged fifty cents.
I can relate😁

Yes it does, hope my little Nightforce has enough elevationo_O
Nice looking rifle! Are you running Burris XTR rings with adjustable cant? I cannot tell, also a canted scope base?
Those 2 things really allow for some distance. With a 15 moa base, and Burris rings, I have 92 moa up on a Leupold Mark 4 4-14, on a 10-22. BY ring spacing, I think I have 55 moa cant from the rings alone. On a hot summer day, I should be able to dial to 500, I am about 6 moa from it in colder weather.

Nice looking rifle! Are you running Burris XTR rings with adjustable cant? I cannot tell, also a canted scope base?
Those 2 things really allow for some distance. With a 15 moa base, and Burris rings, I have 92 moa up on a Leupold Mark 4 4-14, on a 10-22. BY ring spacing, I think I have 55 moa cant from the rings alone. On a hot summer day, I should be able to dial to 500, I am about 6 moa from it in colder weather.
Great questions and I'm asking myself the same thing. The rifle has a 20 MOA Rail. The rings are Seekins lows, if I remember. "Hopefully" I can dial to 200, we'll see. If not it will be hold over and see if maybe a thin shim in the rear ring will help.

I'm in a learning process with this new rig.

Great questions and I'm asking myself the same thing. The rifle has a 20 MOA Rail. The rings are Seekins lows, if I remember. "Hopefully" I can dial to 200, we'll see. If not it will be hold over and see if maybe a thin shim in the rear ring will help.

Scope most likely would have been fine alone for 200, it has 80 moa total travel. Couple that with a 20 moa base, you should be able to dial to 300 yards with ease, my 10-22 needs around 41-42 moa to get there depending on temps.
Not sure if you have a phone app, but Applied Ballistics lists several 22 LR bullets, so I assume others do too. Get you started. This is my 2nd 10-22 that I have attempted to shoot 22LR way farther than one should and it is cheap fun. I just need to make sure it doesn't become so much fun I need a Vudoo or one of the new Curtis actions and 5K more into it, lol
Here are some bullets, PM me and I can get you some BC numbers to get started.
22lr.jpg22lr1.jpg

Those Burris rings really open doors too. My second pair for 22 LR. Also, I have a red dot for mine, I like it, kids really love the red dot, so simple to learn with. We throw steel from 15-100 yards and do timed events with red dot and it is fun.

I do this regularly with my 22 rimfires used for Rimfire PRS. Target distances had ranged from 25-350 yards. Yes, you can hit a 10" plate with consistency at 350 yards. Here is what I do.
-I zero my rifle with an accurate load that is sub .5MOA at 50 yards.
-Chronograph your load which needs to have an ES of less then 20FPS.
-Use a ballistic program(Shooter, AB, Streyloc, etc). Start with a G1 BC of .130, and velocity, Shoot 200 yards. Adjust the BC in.02 increments to achieve POI. Test at maximum range desired and fine tune.
This has worked very well. I can build a very accurate drop chart off the calculator, or more preferable use my G7 Ballistic RF for various ranges to 350 yards, as well as wind dopes. My preferred loads are Federal HS Gold Metal Match 40gr, and Lapua 40 Gr Center-X. Having a scope and mounting system which enables an adequate adjustment range is important. I use a Vortex AMG with 20MOA rail which gets me to 350 with the turrets. My rifle is a Savage TR with MDT chassis.
D66C8F38-DFC0-4B5A-8A21-4B725B6B25A6.jpeg344C0642-457B-4FC7-ACA9-869F16B6D1D0.jpegE7087547-D4EE-4EC2-AB57-0BCCDC270FDC.jpeg8C37F3EB-5F57-4925-B7B6-B9A2BDA814B9.jpeg

-

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.