Another bear incident

Bear should have quit while he was ahead.

On of the funniest bear stories I ever heard came from some friends that ranch in MT.

An early spring and previous year's drought forced them to move a large herd up early about twenty years back.

The got the cattle moved after three long days in the saddle, rode to the camp/cabin to settle in and fix dinner.

It was a fairly modern cabin and the bedroom/bunkroom was separate from the kitchen and living area.

As the six of them started into the bunk room to settle their stuff they were greeted by a sleeping grizzly that had broken through the large window in the bathroom, and made the bunkhouse his winter den.

He told me you'd never seen six tired men move faster getting out.

Unfortunately the bear had accidentally shut the bathroom door and the cowboys shut both doors on their way out.

When they came back a week later with the Game Warden the bear had totally demolished the cabin and eaten every bit of the groceries they dropped on the way out leaving them a huge pile of bear pies in return.

Fortunately he went out the same way he got in, through another window.

I had a friend that had a close with a sow griz and 2 cubs this summer. The area he was in they were counting the grizzlies using baits. It is not a huge area but the officials had 16 different bears at the baits. The stupid thing was these geiuses set the baits up around a camp ground and on the major trails around it. !6 bears in that small of area tells me it is time to reopen the grizzly season here in Alberta but that is somrthing they will not even talk about. When the animals lose fear of man it is not a good situation. To me that is why so many of these bear attacks are taking place. At least some of your states have the common sense to now be considering opening a grizzly season again. Up here we can't offend the bunny huggers and they run our country.

Up here we can't offend the bunny huggers and they run our country.

That's a shame. Canada used to be a lot more pro hunting. Had a cousin that operated a bear guiding operation in Ontario for decades - like 45yrs. Bear baiting came under attack by the liberal-minded, and bear season was restricted more and more by the Government. To the point it was tough to make a living.

Gone to the dogs...

Last edited:
I had a friend that had a close with a sow griz and 2 cubs this summer. The area he was in they were counting the grizzlies using baits. It is not a huge area but the officials had 16 different bears at the baits. The stupid thing was these geiuses set the baits up around a camp ground and on the major trails around it. !6 bears in that small of area tells me it is time to reopen the grizzly season here in Alberta but that is somrthing they will not even talk about. When the animals lose fear of man it is not a good situation. To me that is why so many of these bear attacks are taking place. At least some of your states have the common sense to now be considering opening a grizzly season again. Up here we can't offend the bunny huggers and they run our country.
If they eat enough bunny huggers things will change.

image.png I could be a bunny hugger!

There is a reason our forfathers exterminated them, and wolves too
And there is a reason they were put on this planet in the 1st place for anyone that cares to do the research and find out. WE are the tresspassers, as we always have been and probably always will be. Maybe if we stayed in our neighborhood, they'd stay in theirs. Besides, if we exterminated them... along with the wolves, what would we have to kill and mount?

My forefathers managed to cohabitat with the creatures that we are blessed with on this earth. And when we did have to kill for self preservation or self defense, we didn't have the benefit of a Magnum and state of the art optics. Life on this planet is a 2 way street. There has to be some giving with all the taking...

a.k.a. Wolfsoldier Three Crows
Soldier/Hunter/Warrior

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.