AM Painkiller brakes?

KQguy

My Savage 7mmWSM has about 1400 rds. down the barrel,so I want to start getting things ready for a rebarrel,once I decide the barrel is shot out.I am interested in getting a PK brake on it,but not sure what size to get for a 7mmWSM,I see there is 3 different sizes.Would going a liitle extra big offer any benefit?Also,can those brakes be reused for future rebarrels?

Check with Kirby just to be sure. He has a lot of experience with these on all kinds and sizes of guns. It might depend on the size and profile of your barrel and overall look of the gun but you might end up with the slim model. Going too big probably wouldn't give you any extra benefits and might alter the overall look of the gun. I've got the big 5 port on my 7mm but it's on a 32" heavy profile barrel on a dedicated long range rig. I see no reason why the brake couldn't be used again. They're just threaded on and are easily removable.

You don't necessarily need a big PK brake for your 7WSM. I have a CSR (Center Shot Rifles) brake on my 7SAUM and the recoil is very minimal. I can start to see my impacts at around 300 yds or so. My barrel is .8" at the muzzle and the brake is 1" in dia and it looks very good and smooth.
P9150104.jpg

It would be interesting to see if a bigger brake would give you more recoil reduction or just give you a little more weight to carry. Once I build a bigger rifle (something in the .338) I'll put on a 4 port Muscle Brake.

I have the 3 port Muscle brake on my 338 Ultra mag and it kicks less than my 7400 Rem. .308
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.