APS Small 3 Port Painkiller Muzzle Brake, .338 RUM :)

Slvrwrx

I acquired a Browning A-bolt II Medallion from my Father in .338 RUM. 26" Barrel, 9X Leupold scope, etc.. His words exactly "Too much gun for the old man".

Being that I don't turn down good deals on guns, I figured why not :)

I shot 7 rounds out of this on my first outing and I had enough. Oddly enough the back of my shoulder was sore, and not the front. The gun even has one of those Kick-Eez Butt plates..

Seeing how this gun is more than likely never to be used in a hunting situation, and was not concerned about resale value, I looked into having the barrel threaded, and adding a muzzle brake.

I did a lot of searching online for effective muzzle brakes, especially for ones offered in 5/8 or 1/2" threads, since the A-bolt has a sporter profile barrel.

After talking with APS, I decided on their 3 port small muzzle brake. They cost more than a JP brake ($170 for the APS), but in terms of compactness, I liked the APS better. Had a local gunsmith cut the threads and install the brake for $100. I also added a small Harris bipod.

Looks beautiful in gloss black:
IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932-1.jpg

IMG_0914-1.jpg

Now the question was does it work? I took the gun out Saturday, and needless to say I'm very pleased with the results. I put 10 rounds through it, and each shot felt like I was shooting .30-06 from an M1 Garand. My groups are still bad (mainly because of my impatience and lack of long distance shooting experience), but the gun is now more easily controlled.

First Outing:

APS Muzzle Brake outing:

Thanks again Kirby :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.