AM ??

Fiftydriver

Will a Ruger #1 support enough barrel to do justice for a .270 AM?

What minimum length do you reccomend for them?

TIA,

Mike

Ready_on_the_right,

Because of consistancy issues, I do not recommend the Ruger #1 for the basic of building a long range rifle of any kind. The Bolt actions are better in every way and less costly to work on and produce vastly superior results.

My opinion, if you want a 270 AM, lets build it on a Rem 700, you will be much happier in the long run with the performance over a 270 AM built on a Ruger #1.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

ROTR

Here is a picture of my #1 in 7mmWby. It was put together by D. Bellm back in the late 70's with a 26 inch Shilen barrel. He encountered two problems. First the new barrel contour meant that the fore end hanger had to be cut off and re-welded at different angle in order to clear the barrel. Secondly, the quarter rib once milled to the new contour barrel was not aligned with the barrel and so he measured the angle and milled a Redfield one piece base to fit on top of the quarter rib dead level. You can see the two bases in the picture. Rear stock was designed by me to be used prone.

I certainly would not argue the accuracy of a really good bolt action vs a #1 action being as I have a $1100.00 Nesika M sitting in the cabinet. However, Here is what teh gun was capable of when the barrel throat was new

1000 yds first 5 shot group = 6 inches
1000 yds second five shot group =6 inches
1100 yds firist five shot group =8 inches
1100 yards second five shot group= 8 inches

1200 yards first 5 shot group= 8 inches
1200 yards second five shot group= 8 inches

It is a trivial point but those groups were measured to the outside edge of the bullet holes. A Ruger #1 is much like a wife after the honeymoon is over. You just got to love her to stay with her otherwise you would go and get a new wife.

Of course both me and the gun were 30 years younger than we are today.
Right now, I have a good load and good accuracy with the 160 Accubonds and I have a lot a vacation time to burn. We will see if I am back in good enough shooting form to get past 1000 yards this winter. I have not yet even found a place where I can see beyond 500 yds but the leaves are falling so I can start scouting for a 1000+ yd shooting spot. On the other hand I was supposed to be bowhunting on Saturday but ended up bicycling 34 miles with my wife and a bunch of boy scouts. The reason I am still married is that I do not question orders from the commander-in-chief and I am a good actor and can pretend to be having fun when my butt is hurting badly. So I might not actually get to do all of the hunting that my feeble mind envisions this winter.

As far as hanging weigth off of the action Good rouper is going to try a carbon wrapped barrel here shortly and that may breathe new life into the #1 for some of the cartridges that need long barrels.

318397.jpg

are you all saying that ruger is not a good gun... i hope that isnt what your saying b/c i just bought my first deer rifle and it is a .270 ruger

[ QUOTE ]
are you all saying that ruger is not a good gun... i hope that isnt what your saying b/c i just bought my first deer rifle and it is a .270 ruger

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming your Ruger is a #1....

I'll speak for myself and hope that it is parallel with Buffalobob's thinkin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In my language getting the wrong #1 is like being married to the wrong woman

He said it all with the wife analogy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I've had a love/hate relationship with each one I've had except for the 375 that I now have.

They are great rifles. For exceedingly long range they will, once in awhile let you down. No good reasonable explanation, they just do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Adam

I had a long explanation typed up but I think Roy has it right.

Secondly, if you have problems with accuracy then just put up a post and ask for advice. There are lots of "tricks" to try.

Roy
[ QUOTE ]
I've had a love/hate relationship with each one I've had except for the 375 that I now have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that your are referring to a gun and that you do not have three hundred and seventy five wives?

Please notice that I am not saying a Ruger #1 can not be exceptionally accurate. This is really not my reason for not recommending then for a long range rifle platform.

The main reason is the way the POI can shift depending on how the rifle is supported. Groups will tend to have different POIs with a hand held rest, a bipod or a bag rest. TO what degree will depend on the rifle itself. Groups are generally quite good in a properly build #1 but I have noticed this POI shift with all #1s to some degree.

For conventional big game hunting out to say 500 yards, they are pretty solid performers and perhaps the classiest rifles available in my opinion. For consistant shot placement at long range, there are just better options to start a rifle project with, thats all I am saying.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby and all.

I was Thinking:

1.It's already a single shot
2.I might get an overall shorter handier package with the long barrel required.
3.No need to go to an aftermarket stock.

Thanks for the info guys.

Mike

I just went through Ruger hell with a No. 1 in .338 that belongs to my brother. The rifle shot well for many years, then just went to pot in a handbasket. Shifting wood on the forearm was the culprit. I sent the gun back to Ruger and they removed part of the pressure point then torqued the forearm screw to suit their ammo. As soon as they got a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards they returned the rifle. Their accuracy guarantee in 2 inches at 100 yards.

I am about over this rifle. The gun groups about 1 3/8 at 100 yards out of a Lead Sled, but on conventional bags the group not only opens up, the POI shifts. With a bi-pod in prone the rifle just sucks. I suppose I could go with a barrel tensioning device, etc. but why fight it?

Kirby is being kind. I wouldn't trust the rifle to 500 yards on something as big as an elk. The rifle is going away in favor of a bolt gun.

Before you think I am bashing Ruger 1's, my brother (he is left handed) has two other Number One's and both of them are tack drivers, a .270 Win and a .22-250. FWIW, the premier shop in the country for accurizing Number One rifles won't even chamber one in a magnum caliber.

[ QUOTE ]
Roy
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that your are referring to a gun and that you do not have three hundred and seventy five wives?

[/ QUOTE ]

The humor around here slays me. Yeh, I have but one wife and she's a good one. Not much for shootin' stuff but a good one none the less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This H&H is a sweet heart. Every thing I stick in it from factory to had loads hangs around 1.3MOA. Good enough to put down anything I can hit at a reasonable distance like SRH (short range hunting)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts