am I dreaming

crout

First off I'm a newbie to this forum and real newbie to reloading and long range shooting/hunting. I have a rifle that I would like to use for long range varmint hunting but I would appreciate some feedback.

I recently perchased a steyr sbs prohunter..stainless.23.6" barrel. in 6.5x55, which is probably my favorite chambering so far...(still working on optics) One day I will change to a heavy barrel and custom stock as i love the action and trigger of the steyr.

I plan on using 140gr nosler custom comps..lapua brass, reloader 22 or reloader 19 and some federal 210 or 210M primers.

Is this an adequate setup for 300-600yard shots. I do like to dream and would hope to be able to nail a ground squirrel at these distances, one day. not the preffered choice of rifle I know but it's what I have. Would I benefit from either powder or primer chosen and would moly coating my bullets help?

"Am I dreaming" yup you had better be. That's one of the things that separates us from say a cow.....
It sounds as though you are concerned about a possible lack of velocity. Velocity is on the tail end f things to be concerned with.

Your choice of cartridge components is top notch. When you get the accuracy you need, considering the size of varmint you're after the next thing is a drop chart.

A good scope choice will be a major consideration. Maybe even a bit more important than the rifle.

I'm not familiar with a 6.5x55, if that's what you have, that's what you use. Not a problem!

308s are shot at 1k all the time. So a 6.5x55 at 600 should be doable.

After all of the preparation, if you hit your first one at greater than 375 yards I'll be really ticked.;)

Dream on and have fun........

You'e dreamin' sure. But your rifle and cartridge will get ya there. Very doable shootin'! Have fun!

"Am I dreaming" yup you had better be. That's one of the things that separates us from say a cow.....
It sounds as though you are concerned about a possible lack of velocity. Velocity is on the tail end f things to be concerned with.

not concerned with velocity as i can load the 6.5x55 to match the velocity of a 6.5x284

I believe 51gr of R-19 in 23.6" barrel will get me to about 2900fps with 140gr bullet.

I guess my biggest concern was accuracy. and bullet choice. as far as i know nobody has these bullets for sale in canada. so no info about them.
anyone use these?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.