Am I nuts??????

Jims- I took my rem 700 sendero/ krieger 7mm to hunt rocky mtn bighorn . I KNEW i could hit one at 600. i waited 27 years for the tag . i have a 700 titanum and sakos that shoot good and are light , i did not have that confidence though or the time to develop it. since the bighorn , my buddy shot a 223 inch mule deer and an 85 inch antelope ( 590) with it. no doubt your 85 has less runout than my 700's ; my gunsmith never blue prints them. i can't speak about the light rifles and longer range. i have competed out to 1000. my brother uses an 8 twist krieger and i use an 8.5" . i shoot a lot of 123 scenars in my 6.5-284. i am wondering if the 85 comes in 6.5X55 and could just rechamber a factory barrel . i have a lot of confidence in sako factory barrels. ron

Am I missing something? He shot a 5x5, got that part....

but 4 shots... 4hits? What the heck.... If you need 3 follow up shots, I wouldnt say that the gun shoots well, but thats just me. I dunno...
It was at dusk, at long range and still on its feet. Many a game animal has been lost by not following up.

Statements like the above....make me wonder WHY I visit this site!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I dont know what the problem is.The deer was on his feet and all shots went threw lungs,it was dusk and why risk losing came by no follow up.Seen and heard of game lost that way many a time. My buddy is a very accomplished bow hunter and Montana state champ.Takes elk with a long bow and 6x6 to boot.We shoot with 2 guys that hold multiple world records in 1000 bench. We get it. A friend that shoots with above has a 338 Sako TRG that shoots as good as anything I have seen posted on this board, one wholes at 200. I have been taking elk for the last 20 years at over 500 yrds. He is just getting started.

So there I was, googling, lurking forums, procrastrinating, just minding my own business. Suddenly this guy appears who wants to buy a brand spanking new high end hunting rifle and customize it to replicate the performance and appearance of a gun he already has.

I'm new to this site and I don't do much long range shooting but judging from the numbers you already have a 6.5-.284 in your .270 wsm.

If you already have two Sakos in chamberings that to me are long range chamberings, why get a third one in a ridiculously expensive way in a calibre that basically replicates the performance of your .270 wsm?

What's wrong with your .270 wsm?

On a different note, I found this thread looking for advice on the sako 85 as "the one system" to base my hunting rifle collection on. What is your experience with the two rifles you have? What barrels and stocks do they wear, what do you use them for?

So there I was, googling, lurking forums, procrastrinating, just minding my own business. Suddenly this guy appears who wants to buy a brand spanking new high end hunting rifle and customize it to replicate the performance and appearance of a gun he already has.

I'm new to this site and I don't do much long range shooting but judging from the numbers you already have a 6.5-.284 in your .270 wsm.

If you already have two Sakos in chamberings that to me are long range chamberings, why get a third one in a ridiculously expensive way in a calibre that basically replicates the performance of your .270 wsm?

What's wrong with your .270 wsm?

On a different note, I found this thread looking for advice on the sako 85 as "the one system" to base my hunting rifle collection on. What is your experience with the two rifles you have? What barrels and stocks do they wear, what do you use them for?
The bc's of the 6.5 rounds beat anything in .270 which is why you see so few .270's in LR competition.

To the OP. I was at the range today with friend that has the 300 wm finlight.He was testting AB for tight timber,comparing flight with berger out to 1005.We where cracking rocks center mass all morning to 1005,most shots 730+.The rifle shoots well and has less muzzle jump than my 300wsm abolt.I would have no problem with his particular rifle,and would trust it to that range as much as my custom that cost 3 times.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.