Almost done!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by liltank, Jan 22, 2011.

1. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Well... here is my long awaited project. Don't know if you all remember, but it started life as a stock Savage VLP Mod 12 in .308 then I rechambered to 300WSM. I then tweaked on it as I could afford, but never quite got it to where I wanted it to be. For being mostly factory (except the break and skim bedding coat) it shot very well. Half minute happened often and 3/4 was the norm. Just got tired of being beaten on and having hit and miss accuracy due to brass problems. So it has been returned to a .308 Winny and initial groups even during break in look promising (3 shot bug holes). I bought a Wheeler engineering nut wrench and action wrench. I used some borrowed headspace gauges to set the barrel.

Here's the equipment list:

Savage Mod 12 VLP action
    EGW 20MOA base
    Weaver Tactical rings
    Horus ASLI level w/cosine indicator
    Lothar Walther 1:12, 6 groove, 28"
    SSS Comp. Barrel Lug
    B&C Medalist A2
    Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 w/target dot
    Homemade break by a previous smith, but will be replaced w/ a muscle break.
    Harris swivel bi-pod 9-13"

[​IMG] Reduced: 62% of original size [ 1023 x 682 ] - Click to view full image
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm waiting on a mandrel from PT&G that will allow me to lap the bolt face. I am also waiting for someone to have an aftermarket bolt knob available. They all seem to be out of stock. Right now my sights are set on the BA/T 110 Handle from Savage to come in at Midway. I think it will just look awesome on my rifle. The stock was originally black, but didn't set with me. So I got some ultra flat Krylon camo OD Green and gave it a once over. I think she looks pretty good.

Tank

2. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

Hey partner, That looks great! Looks like something that I want to do in the near future. Hope she shoots as good as she looks. Post some pics and let us know when you find out.

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Like it!! Can't go wrong with what you got going there :D Sure wish I had something along those lines so I didn't have to rebarrel every winter, I need something that I can shoot for years without torching of the barrel!!

4. loosesniper2000

loosesniper2000 Well-Known Member

Very nicely done and well thought out. Maybe if we get together and shoot later on this year I'll get to take a peek at it.
    If you don't mind answering this question, roughly what's the ballpark figure on the gun?

5. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

Very nice looking rifle, what pills are you shooting in her with a 1x12 twist.

I just bought myself the savage mod 10 FCP HS Precision in 308.

6. liltank

The majority of my shooting will be with 175 class bullets. I really want to shoot the 178 Hornady BTHP, but right after I bought some from Midway, they have been out of stock since. So if things don't change, I will probably be shooting either the 175 JLK or 180LBT JLK. If I go with the 180's then it will be my primary bullet. If I go 175's then I will try and get a load worked up with the 208 A-max using RL17. It is shooting 175 SMK's really well right now with 43.5 grains of IMR 4064, and the 178's are doing well with a similar load.

Tank

7. liltank

As is right now about $1570. That isn't including the initial rifle purchase 2yrs ago. Breaks down like this:

Action- $375 (estimated due to being a donor from an $800 rifle originally Mod12 VLP w/DBM)
    Barrel- $500 (specified contour, chambered, hand lapped, threaded for muzzle break, threaded for my action)
    Scope-$275 w/ Butler creeks (closeout sale on swfa.com)
    Stock-$220
    Rings-$35
    Base-$40
    Recoil Lug-$35
    Bi-pod$89

I still want to get a bolt handle, and target trigger set up to lighten it up a bit more. I would like to be in at 12 to 14oz. Right now its better part of 1.5lb pull.

Tank

8. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

liltank,
    Looks good man! Gotta love those Savages. Have you tried the 178gn A-Max in it yet?
    I wish B&C would start making that stock for the LA Savage. Does anybody make a similar stock for LA's? JohnnyK.

9. liltank

I know Choate has a new design that will accommodate the LA along with H-S. Stockade stocks make Savage specific stocks. Matter of fact he specializes in stocks for both long and short actions. My next stock for a Savage build will have a DBM bottom metal set up. I opted to make a wood plug for this build and feed it with single rounds. I shot the 178 A-max when it was a 1:10 twist, but have yet to try it in this one. I went with the BTHP due to the higher BC. That is why I am considering the JLK's. They are a little cheaper than Berger and you get 25 more bullets per order.

Tank

10. loosesniper2000

Is this the scope? I may get one today at that price?
    Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope

11. liltank

Yep, that would be the one. So far I like it. The eye relief is a little short for on the bench, but should be okay shooting prone.

Tank

12. loosesniper2000

Is that a really good price for the scope? How many moa of elevation is there?

13. liltank

The original price on these are in the $375 -$400 range. I would scrape it up if your interested in getting some new optics. The MOA adjustment is right around 68MOA. I could get around 50MOA after setting my zero with my 300WSM. I have to reset for my .308 now. Should be about the same, but maybe a little more. That is with a 20MOA base. The adjustment is one of the reasons I wanted the Viper over my Buckmaster.

Tank

14. loosesniper2000

I appreciate it, thank you