Acceptable action?

downsouth

This is my first post so I'm going to apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb question as I'm a newb to the custom rifle word. I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket so I'm looking into getting a custom rifle either built off of an existing action or just buying a completely new rifle. I currently have a Remington 700 chambered in 270 Win. that I don't use much. For the new rifle I would like to go to something bigger like the 7MM STW, 7 RUM, or 300 RUM. I was talking to a friend about using the 270 action and re-chambering and re-barreling it to one of the large calibers and he stated that the 270 action is not acceptable for this application. Is this correct? Am I better off starting with an action from a larger, magnum caliber? Thanks.

your action will work,but it is a standard length action.those calibers you listed are magnums .if using them in a rifle you want to feed from the magazine your acton wont work.i had a rifle built on a standard length action that utilized a 300 weatherby(magnum length caliber).it had no magazine.single shot benchrest rifle.empty fired cases ejected easily,but loaded rounds,i had to remove the bolt to get live ammo out of chamber.there are other mods that would have to be performed on your caction to make it work.i would purchase a magnum action.hope this helps.jason:D

Rem make 700 in two sizes , long and short , the long action will work with everything from 223 to 338 Lapua , it will need to be modified to do so but it can be done , the only thing "needed" to swap from a 270 to say a 7mmSTW or other magnum is a mag box for that case , if the rounds feed from the mag then they should eject fine

The 270 would need the bolt face opened up for magnum case head which is a simple task if your having the action blueprinted anyway , I'd personaly have a Sako extractor installed also.
The action is long enough but the feed rail may need some minor tweeking to feed the fat cases but generaly just a mag box up grade will work , at this point I haghly recomend that you have the Wyatt's mag box installed it will give you alot more room to seat the bullet out later down the road if needed.
All this work is gonna cost between$250 and $500 depending on the smith. Since you already have the action then I'd build on what you have but after throwing all that money at it you ware still stuck with a rem 700 that you will likely get none of your money back out of if its sold.
OR , you could buy a Borden or Stiller action and have a ready to go custom action that will retain most of its value and it'll save your smith a days work on your build.

At the price of having a Rem M700 action blue printed and necessary improvements done, one might want to consider a Stillers Precision Firearms TAC300 action. it is a drop in replace for the M700 action.
There are several other custom outfits that offer drop replacements for the M700 action. They are built (cut) on a CNC machine and the work is very consistant.
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.