Acceptable groups

orangediablo

Quite the subjective question, but what do you guys consider 'acceptable' in terms of groups from a factory rifle with handloads? Pretty much take the gun out of box and slap on some glass. I guess i'm comparing apples to oranges comparing groups from a factory gun to the $4k+ rigs you guys are posting. Should I be happy with these groups? (all are 100yd 5 shot groups with a flyer here and there).

Edit: rotated the pics to correct orientation. looks like that fixed any elevation issues you mentioned. :D

Attachments

• 20160831_173943.jpg
    20160831_173943.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160831_184111.jpg
    20160831_184111.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160831_182720.jpg
    20160831_182720.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20160831_175843.jpg
    20160831_175843.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160831_174938.jpg
    20160831_174938.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
For an off the shelf hunting rifle, I would be happy with them. Looks to me like they are about 3/4 MOA on average. Things can almost always be made better though. Looks like there is some vertical in the groups. Remove that vertical and they would have tightened up considerably. What kinda rest were you shooting from? Sand bags? tripod?

Bags on bench. I wish I rotated the pics in the correct orientation. Might tell a different story. All charges were measured, and just upgraded my crimping die, so hopefully that will help with elevation a bit.

Edit: rotated pics

Don't want side track your thread but , how much of a difference can you expect from factory loads as to hand loads in a factory rifle like above. I know it probably depends on rifle but in general?

i picked up a 'cheap' box of Rem core lokt to break in barrel. handloads were MUCH more consistent. But could also have to do with barrel break-in

Much better! Now you have horizontal. LOL.

Horizontal is usually the wind or even the shooter. Take that horizontal out and those would be some tight groups. If it was calm wind then a different rear rest position might help or maybe getting the forearm of the rifle set down in the bags a little more so the rifle is not trying to torque to on you. How heavy is the rifle and what cartridge?

Nice. That should shoot well. I bet it can do better. If it were mine I would be pushing to get it to 1/2 MOA or slightly better consistently. I'm not a Tikka expert by any means, but I would check and make sure the action to stock is fit good, the actions screws are tight, and the barrel is free floated well. Sometimes those flyers can be caused by the action moving in the stock slightly under recoil.

Not everyone on here runs $4K rifles. I've seen too many $500 rifles that shoot .5 MOA or better to believe that accuracy is expensive.

Cheaper factory rifles can be hit or miss in regards to accuracy. "Most" often expensive rifles are accurate because they were more carefully manufactured. But still there are many factory rifles that are super accurate.

There are tons and tons and tons of things people will try in order to fix an accuracy problem with a factory rifle. Reloading is the main thing which you already do so that's great.

Besides reloading, I think the most beneficial thing I've ever learned to do that helped with accuracy was bedding the receiver in the stock. I've done quite a few now and it has helped every time. Sometimes it helped a bit. Sometimes it helped way more than expected.

Your accuracy looks good and I wouldn't be embarrassed to show people. Good work! However there is most likely some accuracy potential left in that rifle.

(One last note that is just my opinion... Unless you remember flinching or pulling a specific shot, you need to count the flyers as part of your group. If you shot a group of 10 or 15 instead of 5, you might notice that the flyer was a real indication of that load. Only bringing this up to help, not to call fault with your groups).

Hope this helps!

Nice. That should shoot well. I bet it can do better. If it were mine I would be pushing to get it to 1/2 MOA or slightly better consistently. I'm not a Tikka expert by any means, but I would check and make sure the action to stock is fit good, the actions screws are tight, and the barrel is free floated well. Sometimes those flyers can be caused by the action moving in the stock slightly under recoil.

Ahhh! You beat me to it! You stated what I was trying to convey... although in many less sentences. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.