A new concept in Muzzle Brakes

I couldn't believe how much the break helped on the MOA (based on a 376 Steyr case) and without the scope which is out getting a new reticle. It felt like my 10" Contender in 22 hornet that I use for silhouettes. I used to get bumped in the glasses once in a while before.
Paul, if you still want the jp we can talk but the Muscle brake was an improvement over the jp in jump and rear recoil.
While I like the jp, I did have issues with it getting hung up getting it in and out of my holster/scabbard. It's a tight fit.

Last edited:
e-mail from a customer who purchased a loose brake and had his smith instal.

Hello Jim,

I recently purchased and had your muscle brake installed. I put the brake on a savage model 12 in .270 wsm. Prior to the install there was no way to shoot this rifle with free recoil as it had fairly sharp and quick recoil with some muzzle jump as well. It was just a bit more than I wanted to hang onto for extended range time.

Since the brake install the rifle is definitely a "pussycat" to shoot and easy to control with the added benefit of no backblast whatsoever! I have fired other rifles equipped with muzzle brakes but most had an unpleasant backblast which in itself can lead to a dreaded flinch. Now becoming comfortable with this rifle has led me to a .194" group on my second 3 shot load development. Thanks again for a well designed product that actually does just what it was supposed to do with no hype whatsoever.

Cordially,

Chris Polinski

Last edited:
The 338 with the 250's used to have 4"+ of muzzle rise when it had the JP, It also came back noticably more. The 7mm used to come back 4-5" with a firm grip, I shot it yesterday and was blown away!

"I shot it yesterday and was blown away!" I thought you wanted less recoil !! That wouldn't happen with no brake at all.
I guess that rules out using one in a tree stand.

Just kidding

Seriously, I watched the videos & havn't seen anything like it. How much increase in noise would ther be to the shooter
& those slightly behing the shooter and off to the side a foot or two like a guide?

Last edited:
"I shot it yesterday and was blown away!" I thought you wanted less recoil !! That wouldn't happen with no brake at all.
I guess that rules out using one in a tree stand.

Just kidding

Seriously, I watched the videos & havn't seen anything like it. How much increase in noise would ther be to the shooter
& those slightly behing the shooter and off to the side a foot or two like a guide?

It's not any louder than my holland qd or any other brake, I'd bet my a-bolt with a boss is louder...

I have been shooting mine out of my new 300RUM. Before I could not watch my bullet hit the target. I used to touch one off and get rocked. Then reset everything and look for the hole. Sure I get a little thump but I can spot my target so quickly thats its amazing. The recoil is minimal which is saying a lot for a 300RUM. I will write up more later but so far I am really impressed. I have never had such a comfortable rifle and I belive that it has a lot to do with the brake. Very nice product.

I saw some posts looking for information on Brakes.

i intend to use one of these on my next rifle so thought I would bump it.gun)

The video sure does show the blast not being directed back and towards the shooter but what looks to be about 90 degrees to the left and right...Indeed very nice. For those of you shooting the big 338 any feedback on muzzle jump without a top port (I know one can be milled but wondering).

If your anything like me, then your not chicken...it's all about comfort at this age. I'm assuming your not experiencing much if any muzzle jump...Yes?

Hey Yotefever, what kind of holes are in the top? You got a pic of it?
My 338 barrel is at Jims getting chambered and getting the 3 port muscle brake installed right now.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.