Muzzle Brakes

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by rudyortiz, Mar 9, 2008.

1. rudyortiz

rudyortiz Member

Dear Gentlemen: I recently purchased a 338 RUM LSS and am thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it for practice purposes (the recoil is not terrible but is sufficiently distracting if firing more than 10 rounds or so). I would appreciate any info as to the names of what this group considers the best muzzle brakes for this type of caliber.
    Regards,
    Rudy

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

3. MightyMach

MightyMach Well-Known Member

I am happy w my def edge

4. tjonh2001

tjonh2001 Well-Known Member

find the post by 308nate. he has a video post of the different ones that he makes. as we speak he has my hunting rifle and installing a break to it. all of the ones that ive seen done by him are unbeleivable you cant even see the seam where they screw on. he is also building me a thread protector. if you are looking for a titanium to save weigh he has those too. you wont be disipointed. pm if you want his info...

5. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I'll second "308nate"'s brake desgine very effective and very well installed.

6. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

I have one of 308nate's brakes, but don't have my barrel threaded yet. I will say it looks very nice, I think I will be happy with it.

7. rocky_lange

rocky_lange Well-Known Member

My 30-378 Weatherby Accumark came with a factory installed Accubrake. I would never change it out, but am looking to replace my flash suppresor with a muzzzle brake on my AR. Guess I'l have to contact 308Nate.

8. James Jones

Well Rocky , if you decide to change your mind I assure you that Nate's V-port brake will work better than the weatherby unit and you'll stay ALOT cleaner when shooting prone. I have't thought to much about puting a brake on any of my AR's ,I'm to busy trying to make suppressors for them

9. tjonh2001

IM WITH JAMES,AND THANK YOU TO YOU JAMES I HAVR THE PAPERWORK DONE THAT YOU EXPLAINED. i should be able to biuld my first suppressor in about 3 weeks. back to the question about brakes i am going to pick my gun up from nates place i am going to shoot it at his range in the morning . i will shoot it with and without the brake. thats to only way to truely tell how good a brake is...

10. gremcat

gremcat Well-Known Member

anyone got any picks of his brakes or have used them thinking of building a long ranger on a model 70 action I have here .After the 12fv is done of course:D

11. James Jones

12. 338hammer

338hammer Well-Known Member

I have many and would rate the Ron Bartlett "Vais Brake" # 1 overall because of noise reduction, followed with the Holland quick discharge as # 2 for recoil reduction with the noise. After that for the money and precision I would go with the Ross brake at $60. installed 208-587-8993.
    Same day installed!.

Neal

13. tjonh2001

i just went to nates shop and picked this up. i have 3 pictures that show the break on the rifle. the break up close. i also have a picture of the break half on so you can see nates machining.

i shot this rifle at his range. i was shooting pron off the bipod. i was finally able to see the hit at the 600 yard range. the small amount of muzzle jump alowed me to see the paint fly off the target. i also had a friend of mine that has never shot at these ranges so he shot it and thought it kicked like his 243.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]