A new concept in Muzzle Brakes

jmason, The larger brake has not been finalized yet but will have the same internal apperance as the Muscle Brake with the addition of another angled baffle. The dia. will be increased to 1.5" and may be offered round or slabbed off. It leaves options for those that are using large dia. barrels to keep the same profile on the brake.

Thanks for the info Jim! The brake's hub that I bought is the same diameter as my barrel so they won't blend well. As soon as I get confirmation of my suspicions it will be in the "for sale" section and I'll be parting with some loot in your direction.

jmason, what dia. is you barrel for this build at the muzzle?

I'm looking for input on this BIG brake, do you intend on turning it down to muzzle dia. or just taper the rear end to the barrel OD?

distributor, I assume your barrel finishes at 1.350 at the muzzle, same question for you, will your smith turn the brake down to 1.350 or leave it at 1.5 and taper to barrel OD?

I'm looking for a little guidance on my port height for the final design. If feasable I'm going to make the ports 1.000" tall that means the brake can be turned down to about 1.2" and no less, or slabbed off the top and bottom for a hieght of about 1.150", and left the full 1.5 inches wide.

I'm trying to keep the door open on this brake so that it can be styled to individual taste, round or slabbed, large Dia. or smaller Dia.

Jim- my muzzle is .9 and I want at least the tail to blend in w/ the barrel. Maybe turn down the whole thing. I really don't care as long as looks like it and the barrel are one unit. I would defiantly want the hole(s) in the top to give a little downward push as well. Just waiting to here back from Kevin about the situation on the one I have. I'll try another PM to Kevin to see what's up.:)

Last edited:
Kirby, It does share the similarity of having a pair of angled ports.

The concept of a straight port to help shear off some back blast was an idea brought to me by Neal. Neal gave me the concept due to a demand he was having and the lack of a product that suited his needs.

I came up with the dimensional design based on what I require in a brake: Ease of instalation, Looks good, works effectivly, precisly machined, and can taper into the barrel. I do not intend that the diameter of this brake be turned down, it is what it is for all intent and purpose.

The magnum muscle brake is being run with this standard muscle brake as we speak and that was soley by the request of Neal. Some of his pistols are very large and wear Barrets 50bmg brakes. Which are giving him headaches! This round brake will allow for turning down, or slabing to fit the needs of the end users demands.

I have 4 pistols that will be fitted for testing purposes and a couple of my personal rifles will be switched to the muscle brake for testing. If you would like to try one Kirby, I'll send one out to you. Dealer prices will be available.

I will be inspecting the finished product on Monday, They are lathe turned, threaded and thru holed. Milling operations of the ports will start Monday, After the first part runoff, it will get inspected and approved and the first run of 50 will happen.

Called the guys today and it looks like Tuesday the Muscle brakes will be wrapped up, the large muscle brake will be a couple days later.

The Muscle brakes are in!!!
The Big Muscle brake will be done next week Monday!!

Pics of the Muscle brake installed on a barrel will be up on my web-site very soon. I sent them to my IT guy so when he gets to it.

Pricing on the Muscle brake will be $115 shipped conus. Dealer and quantity pricing available.

Jim- I spoke w/ you a couple weeks ago on the phone about a brake. I have the 7mm WSM with the .9 muzzle. Anyway Did I want to order the "muscle Brake" or the "big muscle brake" ? I want to blend it into the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.