A max vs smk

Goobie270

Please school me in what's more accurate and better for 1000 yards in a 308, in 168-175gr. I will be reloading my own so tell me everything you know. Thanks

The 168 Match King is known for having stability issues past 600 yards after the bullet moves into the trans-sonic zone. For shooting 1000 yards, heavier the better and the 175 SMK gets my vote.

there is no "magic bullet". each rifle will prefer one over the other,one weight over another, testing is the only way to find out for sure

Heavier is better for 1000 yds with a .308. I'd lean towards the 190 matchking. This is assuming you're target shooting, I wouldn't hunt with a matchking.

Heavier is better for 1000 yds with a .308. I'd lean towards the 190 matchking. This is assuming you're target shooting, I wouldn't hunt with a matchking.

Huh? The 338 300gr SMK is one of the deadliest bullets on the planet. A 308 240gr SMK is right behind it. Run a long for caliber SMK or A-max with a high SD and you wont find a deadlier bullet on the market.
IDC what Sierra prints on the box, SMKs in the correct size for the caliber and game, are HAMMERS.

Well I was at the sports store and ended up buying hornady match 168, so hopefully these bullets are good

Well I was at the sports store and ended up buying hornady match 168, so hopefully these bullets are good

You are going to be on the ragged edge of the bullets capabilities at 1000 yards.
Pick a powder that puts you at the very top of the velocity range and get to 1 Moa or less, and you'll get hits.

I personally would have chose a newer design like the 178 ELD M or 175 Matchking.
I might have gone a little heavier and went with the new 200.20X grain Berger.

I don't think you made a horrible choice, but there are better choices. Good luck

My .308 shoots the Hornaday 178 BTHP M Bullet better then the Sierra MK 175 at 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.