A 308 NATO Question

Southpaw

I have about 2000 rounds of eastern european inported stuff. I beleive it is berdan primed, the importer I beleive was Paragon. I was out shooting this stuff and a guy I was talking to told me this ammo is mildly corosive and I should not be shooting it in a nice gun. Shortly after that I got rid of my 308 so it wasn't an issue.

Now that Iam looking at picking up another 308 I wonder if I will want to shoot this ammo in this rifle?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? What do I need to know? Alternative method for cleaning up after shooting ammo?

Another question would be is this ammo really corosive? How do I find out ?

TIA

Southpaw

If you are concerned, guys who shoot corrosive ammo will flush the barrel with boiling water to rinse out the residue, then clean and oil as usual.

Ask the guys at m14 forums. Com. It really depends on what country it came from as to how corrosive it is. The m14 guys really know their stuff. They have a head stamp id page on the ammo section of the forum.

Thanks Guys

All good advice. One of our local know it alls told me to use hot soapy water, but being a know it all as he is, he has little credibility with anyone around here (think Cliff at Cheers) - LOL

Southpaw

Thanks Guys

All good advice. One of our local know it alls told me to use hot soapy water, but being a know it all as he is, he has little credibility with anyone around here (think Cliff at Cheers) - LOL

Southpaw

This time he does. This is about the best way to clean the corrosive primer salts from your barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.