RRA Wylde and Nato 5.56

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by reloader-51, Feb 4, 2011.

1. reloader-51

reloader-51 Member

Been reading these forums till I'm just about totally blind! Enormous amount of info here, but still looking for some answers about the RRA Coyoye carbine with the NATO chamber. I know the specs are different between the Wylde and the NATO chamber, and it's said the Wylde chamber should be a "little" more accurate, but what is a little? Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between two barrels, one chambered in Wylde and the other in the NATO 5.56, all other components on the rifle the same? Also, anybody have any idea why RRA put the NATO chamber on the 16" Coyote and most others have the WYLDE. I'm gonna buy one, either way, just want to know the actual truth in the difference. Thanks!!

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

On the AR-15 platform, you'll not see a 'noticable' difference. The Wylde chamber is simply a compromise (in throat dimentions) between the 5.56mm and the .223 Rem.

3. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

I can only tell you about my 24" Varmiter, sub 1/2" 5 shot groups with many bullets, bug holes with 77sMK.

4. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

The Wylde is more accurate because the freebore is kept to bullet diameter where as
    the Nato is larger than bullet diameter. The Wylde is not really a compromise. It is a
    different design and has proved to be a very accurate chamber design while allowing for
    the higher pressures of a nato round. There are postings of a chart of the the various .223 an 5.56 chamber dimensions on different forums that the wylde is included in. Study it
    and you will see why it works.

5. reloader-51

reloader-51 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I've looked at the specs and understand them. What I'm looking for is some "actual" research that says given the exact same weapon, ammo, and all, just the chamber difference, one is say .040 tighter at 100 yds than the other.

6. nfhjr62

nfhjr62 Well-Known Member

Have a new flat top action with a 24 inch 1/8 SS barrel from DPMS have been told that dpms with this barrel has a Wylde chamber but is not stated in their literature but have seen it on other forms.

7. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Join m4carbine.net and use the search their

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

The ammo you choose to feed the rifle will have more of a bearing on accuracy than the difference between the Wylde chamber and a 5.56mm military chamber. No two rifles are going to 'like' the exact same ammo.

9. reloader-51

reloader-51 Member

Will try it. Thanks.