9 twist 7mm

cgpaul

Anyone using this rate when shooting 180 Sierra MK`s? I`m having accuracy issues with my 7 Wby. and wondering if the 9 twist may be the problem.

Thanks

I shoot 180's in a 9.25" twist with no issues. But my 9.5" twist rifles refuse to even get close to stabilizing them.

Sierra recommends a 1 in 8 twist. The 1 in 9 will work if you push them somewhat hard but they will stabilize at long distance quicker than if you run the 1 in 8.

Thanks Guys, I have built the 7 Wby on a 700 action, and had wanted an 8 twist in the barrel I ordered. Come to find out, the barrel was cut 1x9....I didn`t think to check it when she came in.
It shoots 175 Sierra GK at 3020fps extreamly well, 1/2 MOA, and maintains the accuracy out to 500 yrds, furthest I`ve tested it. Problem comes with the 180`s. .75 inches at 100, but as distance increases, so does dispersion, shooting more than MOA. And I`ve tried everythink I can think of to correct...seating depth, powder, primers, cases etc. I`ve also noticed any VLD type bullet, Sierra, Burger, JLK`s respond the same way. I really can`t put a finger on it, other than every rifle is unique. Built the gun for some LR stuff...quess I`ll just stick to the 175`s and 160 Accubonds.
Thanks.

No. In fact waiting for some 175 LR Accubonds to show. Had them on order from Midway sence Jan.
Where are you getting the Hybrid`s?

No. In fact waiting for some 175 LR Accubonds to show. Had them on order from Midway sence Jan.
Where are you getting the Hybrid`s?
Either local store, or some random places online. Last time I found some, I bought 5 boxes, so I'm good to go for a while.

They're hard to find these days, so you just gotta keep a constant watch for them.

Well, just recieved my 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid`s, and was able to shoot a load with H1000 last nite at 300. 1.75 inch 3 shot group. Looks promising. Now on to 4, 5, then 600. If they stay well under MOA, I`m a happy camper.
I`ll keep you posted.

For reference Sierra recommends at least 1 in 8 twist for their 180 smk, where as Berger recommends 1 in 9 for their 180 VLDs. My Criterian 7RM 1 in 9 twist barrel loves the 180 vld's, i havent tried 180 smks or berger hybrids. My personal best 3 shot group to date at 500 yards with 180 vld is 5/16" most groups under 2". I may try the 180 smk sometime, if i could get them to shoot 1/2 moa it would be worth it for the savings that sierra offers in 500 round boxes. For target shooting that is, will stick to berger vld hunting for hunting.

Sorry for the delay, been gone for a bit.
Got a tip from a mamber to try 3RD Generation, they had some.
Shot my load yesterday at 400...2.25 inch groups. Showing promise.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.