7mm 180eldm from a 9 twist

I've got a nice 7-300 win mag with a 28" 9twist Bartlein. It shoots the 162 amaxs beaitifully..i was curious if anyone has or shot the 180 eldms from a 9twist. I've had people say they will and won't shoot from a 9 twist. I'm also shooting at 1000ft ASL. I built this rifle 4 years ago before there was any really good heavy LR bullets so i got the 9 twist...wished I would be went with an 8 now with all these nice new slippery 7mm bullets...oh well. The 162 amax shoots under 1/2 MOA to 1K as is already.

I also shoot the 180 eldm out of a 9 twist 28 nosler and they are phenomenal. I live and developed loads at 1200' elev, Oklahoma, and have killed two bulls with them in that gun in Colorado. One was 1104 yards and the other was 1245 yards at 9800' elevation. I have a G7 of .375 put into the Kestrel and it has been spot on as far as I have shot. Velocity was 3169.

Awesome! How was the terminal performance of the 180 eldm? Furthest I've killed was a spike at 1125 with 7RM/162 AMAX. Bullet entered behind shoulder, liquefied insides and slipped between a rib going out. Bull walked about 30 yards and fell over dead.

I've run 180 bergers from a 10 twist at 2900fps. There are issues with doing that but the bullet doesn't keyhole the target.

Awesome! How was the terminal performance of the 180 eldm? Furthest I've killed was a spike at 1125 with 7RM/162 AMAX. Bullet entered behind shoulder, liquefied insides and slipped between a rib going out. Bull walked about 30 yards and fell over dead.

It was Great man. I am pleased with the performance for sure. The bull at 1104 was broad side and I hit him towards the front of the chest cavity.(the slap echoed through the mountains) He hunkered up and turned just quartering away so I put another one in him just behind rib cage and it went all the way through to the front of the off side rib cage and a small piece of bullet was stuck in hide. Blew the insides up and left probably golf ball size holes in the rib cage. He fell right where he stood. Would have been dead in a matter of minuets after the first shot but I wasn't gonna chance it. Impact velocity was 2146fps and 1841 ftlbs energy according to my Kestrel. I do have inside rib cage pictures of it but they are on my computer and it quit on me a couple days ago. Hoping apple can retrieve them and many others.

The bull at 1245 I also hit twice and he ran down the mountain about 200 yards and never got up. I didn't get pictures of it. It was after dark when we finally got to him and all night pack out! Impact velocity was 2036fps and 1657 ftlbs.

My son also got a whitetail with them at 300 yards and they dropped him in his tracks. Insides were mush. I can't remember if it passed through or not.

I will continue to use them without hesitation on elk or deer.

I haven't tried them for hunting but target shoot with them. I am running a 7mm rem mag 28 criterion barrel 1/9 twist. I do load longer than the Sammi coal, but am getting an average of 2950fps and have shot them out to 400 yards with no issues.

180 eldms out of 9.25 twist sendero shot lights out. Amazing wind resistance. Extremely reliable cold bore shots. Rifle sat in the safe for a year. Took it out & made one shot at my 500yd steel plate and centered up on it. Put it back in the safe. Took it out 7 months later shot once & center up @ 500yds & put it back up again. Definitely a confidence bulider.

Thanks guys. Hoping they shoot as well as the 162 amax has for me. Just went our this morning, first time since 12-23-17 with this rifle and proceeded to stack 3 into 6" at 1K laying prone with bipod and rear bag. Works for me!

You can't argue with that. That's what I call reliable! I love the old overlooked & underated 7mm. I've never saw whitetail go down so fast as when I used to hit them with a 162sst. Literally stone cold dead before they hit the ground. Maybe one day folks will think the 7mm is cool again. Right now the 6.5s are the cool kids. I've even heard guys with skinny jeans like them. Lol

You can't argue with that. That's what I call reliable! I love the old overlooked & underated 7mm. I've never saw whitetail go down so fast as when I used to hit them with a 162sst. Literally stone cold dead before they hit the ground. Maybe one day folks will think the 7mm is cool again. Right now the 6.5s are the cool kids. I've even heard guys with skinny jeans like them. Lol
Wait a minute! I just had and epiphany:
7mm creedmoor & 7mm prc will make the 7mm cool again. Built it and they will come. Lol. Just had to have a little fun with it.

I've got a nice 7-300 win mag with a 28" 9twist Bartlein. It shoots the 162 amaxs beaitifully..i was curious if anyone has or shot the 180 eldms from a 9twist. I've had people say they will and won't shoot from a 9 twist. I'm also shooting at 1000ft ASL. I built this rifle 4 years ago before there was any really good heavy LR bullets so i got the 9 twist...wished I would be went with an 8 now with all these nice new slippery 7mm bullets...oh well. The 162 amax shoots under 1/2 MOA to 1K as is already.
I'm all about the 180 hybrid! I love the hybrid in all my calibers for hunting!

Adam, what were you shooting them out of? Noticed you're using 210s, which is a non mag primer. Just curious. Thanks.

I'm shooting a rem 700 classic that was factory chambered in 7mm weatherby. Factory Barrel and trigger bedded in a Boyd's.

I like the 210s when I can get away with it. You can reliably light H1000 up to somewhere around72- 74 grains. I could go more, but my groups rocked at 70 grains, and it lights down to below -4 F

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.