9 Twist in a 7mm STW

I haven't been much of a 7mm person, but Berger coming out with a 195 intrigues me. Their posts on LRH indicate it will require "at least 1-8.5". I shot some of the old Barnes Originals in this caliber and weight 1-9 worked there, but this bullet should be longer by a bit. Everything else should work. Good Luck.

Last edited:
A 1:9 should be more than adequate for any of the heavier 7mm VLD's shouldn't it?

7mm STW 27" BBL... .

It will not only work but it is the recomended twist for all 7 mm bullets.

If you go much faster with the twist you may have trouble with the lighter bullets just like
if you go with a slower twist you will have trouble with the heavy bullets.

My 1000 yard match rifle was a 1 in 9.25 and it loved the 168s and 175 grain bullets.

Twist rates for a specific bullet may cause problems if another bullet weight is tried.

You will be fine with the 1 in 9.

J E CUSTOM

It will not only work but it is the recomended twist for all 7 mm bullets.

If you go much faster with the twist you may have trouble with the lighter bullets just like
if you go with a slower twist you will have trouble with the heavy bullets.

My 1000 yard match rifle was a 1 in 9.25 and it loved the 168s and 175 grain bullets.

Twist rates for a specific bullet may cause problems if another bullet weight is tried.

You will be fine with the 1 in 9.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm mainly looking at the 162-180's and figured that would be about ideal for that class of bullet but still do fine with the 150's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.