8X? 10X? 12X? For My NEW 222?

sw282

An '0ld School' 222Rem Varmint rifle fell out the sky. l have been given the choice of a 8X, 10X, or 12X scope.

All 3 are fixed pwr 40mm AO Leupolds in great shape. The giver of the gift says, ''Pick just ONE for the 222''.

To respect the Giver that's what l will do. Which do l choose for my ''NEW'' 222?

Thanks,

Old school varmint gun in a varmint cartridge, that I assume you will shoot varmints with. I would go 10 or 12. And of those 2 I would choose the one with the finer crosshair. If the reticles are the same. Go 12. Im talking vermin shooting, not coyotes. So small targets that don't move a ton, out there a ways. Take all the mag you can get.

12x without a doubt. Over 4 decades of shooting the 222 in varmint and BR rifles, and scopes went from 12x to 6-18x, 6.5-20x, 6-24x, fixed 24x, 8-32x. Tiny targets!

I concur. If 12X seems too much, learn to shoot it. You'll be glad you did. If you were to carry all 3 in a toolbox for switching and trying, you'd end up leaving the 12X on the gun and leaving the others home. There isn't that much difference, but it's enough to make the choice.
(Still, I have a few old Weavers in K10 that have been modified for my own use. They are old and the optics show it, but they are not for sale.)

I would probably go with the 8x or maybe the 10x as I have trouble seeing clearly with more powerful scopes. Before I would make a definite chose I would look through them all and see witch one fit my eyes the best. I'd would see if he would let you loosely mount each on the rifle, that would give you a realistic view of how each would work for you.

An '0ld School' 222Rem Varmint rifle fell out the sky. l have been given the choice of a 8X, 10X, or 12X scope.

All 3 are fixed pwr 40mm AO Leupolds in great shape. The giver of the gift says, ''Pick just ONE for the 222''.

To respect the Giver that's what l will do. Which do l choose for my ''NEW'' 222?

Thanks,

A little more is always better than a little less!

Definitely go the 12x.
I have a Sako L461 Vixen in 222, it only has a 3-9x40 on it, more mag would definitely be a bonus.
222 is a great cartridge, mine is super accurate with the Nosler 50gr SHOTS available to the AUSSIE market, I buy a 1000 at a time.

Cheers.