First victim of my new .25-06

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Bowhunter57, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Well-Known Member

I've been hunting coyotes and was hoping the first critter to fall victim to my new Stevens .25-06, would be a coyote. However, I'll take what walks into my scope and today it was a 14 lb. groundhog. :)

The picture shows his good side, as the other side doesn't exist. :cool: I guess a 3300 f.p.s. 85gr. Nosler BT doesn't fool around.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
    [​IMG]

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

When you get a chance at that first coyote I doubt that he'll be any happier than that ol woodchuck.:)

3. 6.5x61Super

6.5x61Super Well-Known Member

..congrats on the g'hog...gun)gun)

4. Oliveralan

Oliveralan Well-Known Member

Congrats! First blood with a new rife is always a good feeling.

5. MikeMurf0505

MikeMurf0505 Well-Known Member

I love that camo dressing on the barrel, what is it and where can I get it?
    I have a Sendero 25-06 and I need agood removable camo for that 26" stainless tube of mine, she sticks out like a black eye on a blonde.

6. Bowhunter57

MikeMurf0505,
    The leafywear is part of a camo suit that I cut off. I thought it would break up the outline of the barrel and look good doing so.

I know what you mean about the "black eye on a blonde", but that's better than a "rat turd in a sugar bowl." :D Either way, it needed some camo.

I can spare some, if you're interested. Each strip is about 17" long and 3" wide. I can send you 3 sections, if you'd like. Just e-mail me your address and I'll stuff some in an envelope, slap a stamp on it and send it your way. :) I tied mine on with sinew, that way it can be removed.

7. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

How far was the shot? Good to see the Stevens is treating you well.

Tank

8. MikeMurf0505

MikeMurf0505 Well-Known Member

Bowhunter57,
    I received the strips in the mail today...THANKS!
    I now owe you some good photos and videos of the chucks that fall prey to my sexy 06 700 sendero SF2.

I hope the 25-06 load data I sent you helps you get some good ideas on other loads, I dont think your 85 grain load needs any help at all.

Here is one I shot at 200 yards, with an 87 grain Speer TNT, using 58 grains of H4831SC - it was an accurate load right off the bat, but when I tuned in the seating depth, and used some Accuracy Restorer the night before I shot this target - BAMM
    5 shots through 1 hole at 200 yards
    OH NO, I cant post the photo.....
    How do I attach a PDF?

Thank you so much for the cloth, I'll shoot a pic of the finished poroduct (and what it produces.....).
    Mike

9. raedr01

raedr01 Member

I used to kill alot of ground hogs working on farms, 14 lbs ground hog is a legit kill! Nice job!

10. Bowhunter57

MikeMurf0505,
    You're most welcome and I hope you enjoy them! I'll be watching my e-mail for the pics of your success.

liltank,
    It was only 110 yards, which isn't much of a test for the .25-06, but the g-hog was very dead. :D I love this rifle and caliber! There will be plenty of other kills.