8mm Rem. Mag info

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by huntokanogan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. huntokanogan

huntokanogan Well-Known Member

I have owned an 8mm rem mag since I was in high school. it's a rem. 700 with a 24" barrel. Have never shot it much. Killed one elk, a deer and a couple coyoes with it. The only comercialy avalible round is a 200 grn a frame with rather poor ballistics (& $90.00 a box). I don't know a whole lot about the round. I know the 7mm STW was made from a necked down 8mm rm. If loaded properly I should be able to make a pretty long range gun out of it should'nt I? Any ideas on bullet type and weights would be appreciated. Anyone else have one? I did'nt realize how few were actualy out there.

2. 600BP

600BP Well-Known Member

I have one and use 180gr ballistic tips, loaded with a near max charge of 7828. Its shoots sub MOA and ballistics are almost identical to my 300 Weatherby. I know that there are several other bullets out there, but this is my target/whitetail load :D, and I have not had a reason to try anything else.

ERIK

3. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have a couple friends that shoot 8's. Dont Know their loads, but it is similar to my 340. IMR 7828 has worked well for me also, but I think you will see better long range performance from a heavier bullet up to the 220's. I shoot 200 NAB'S OUT OF MY 325 WSM, which is like a short 8mm, same .323 bullet, less capacity.

4. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I have played with the 8mm rem mag quite a bit. The 220 Sierra Game King is a very good hunting bullet and has about the best bc your going to find in 8mm. I have seen several animals taken with them and they do a good job on game. I shot a caribou a few years back at over 500 yards with it and bullet performance was excellent. Actually my buddy shot the one he wanted and handed the gun to me and I shot the one I wanted. Both excellent bullet performance. This and the 200 grain Barnes tsx provided good accuracy in the rifles we tried them in.