8mm Rem. Mag info

huntokanogan

I have owned an 8mm rem mag since I was in high school. it's a rem. 700 with a 24" barrel. Have never shot it much. Killed one elk, a deer and a couple coyoes with it. The only comercialy avalible round is a 200 grn a frame with rather poor ballistics (& $90.00 a box). I don't know a whole lot about the round. I know the 7mm STW was made from a necked down 8mm rm. If loaded properly I should be able to make a pretty long range gun out of it should'nt I? Any ideas on bullet type and weights would be appreciated. Anyone else have one? I did'nt realize how few were actualy out there.

I have one and use 180gr ballistic tips, loaded with a near max charge of 7828. Its shoots sub MOA and ballistics are almost identical to my 300 Weatherby. I know that there are several other bullets out there, but this is my target/whitetail load :D, and I have not had a reason to try anything else.

ERIK

I have a couple friends that shoot 8's. Dont Know their loads, but it is similar to my 340. IMR 7828 has worked well for me also, but I think you will see better long range performance from a heavier bullet up to the 220's. I shoot 200 NAB'S OUT OF MY 325 WSM, which is like a short 8mm, same .323 bullet, less capacity.

I have played with the 8mm rem mag quite a bit. The 220 Sierra Game King is a very good hunting bullet and has about the best bc your going to find in 8mm. I have seen several animals taken with them and they do a good job on game. I shot a caribou a few years back at over 500 yards with it and bullet performance was excellent. Actually my buddy shot the one he wanted and handed the gun to me and I shot the one I wanted. Both excellent bullet performance. This and the 200 grain Barnes tsx provided good accuracy in the rifles we tried them in.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.