338-8mm Rem Mag

Nobody has any input on this caliber, as many big-bore fanatics, wildcatters, and gunsmiths as we have on here....I find that to be quite odd.

Any input on this cartridge in a 24-25" factory Remington stainless sporter barrel?

It's almost a waste to let my .338 barrel to go rust, and I love my 7mm STW, and this cartridge uses the same basic brass. So it has very recently piqued my curiousity...

Nobody has any input on this caliber, as many big-bore fanatics, wildcatters, and gunsmiths as we have on here....I find that to be quite odd.

I'm thinking if someone want to do this chambering, they would do it in a 26" or longer barrel.

Since this is a long range site I doubt there would be much interest in it since it has about 10% less case capacity than the current popular LR 338's. That interest goes to the other cartridges mentioned in the thread, like the RUM, EDGE and Lapua. I would probably go with a Lapua Imp with a 28 or 30" barrel.

If you have a shorter sporter barrel, you might consider a 338 WSM or RCM which would be much more efficient out of a shorter barrel, for short to mid range shooting. You would loose a lot of performance out of the 8mm RM and the other larger cartridges in a short barrel.

The barrel is already chambered for .338 WinMag, since it came from the factory as such...

I was just wondering if there was some alternative to it without me having to buy a new barrle and chamber it, and all that stuff right now since funds are tight... Figured a $100 finish reamer, and a die set, and some surplus "blem" .338 bullets might be a fun thing to shoot at the range...

It would be cheaper for me to just order a new blank and make another 7mm STW.

I have another idea for a wildcat, but I don't see it being very popular since there are already ALOT of variations out there that would be ballistically around it. But it has been cramping up for a while. However, it would be my own custom caliber...

If I decide to do it, I'll post more info about it. I'll get one of my friends on here to draw me up some specs on my ideas...

I've done it and the "improved" versions like the BAER and .338-.358STA. Ballistically it's a .340 Weatherby but it might give up a little bit in velocity with the shorter barrel and the lack of excessive freebore. I still have 2 .338 Baer's that are extremely accurate. About 2700fps with 300's, 2850-2900fps with 250's, 3050ish with 225's, and 3200fps with 200's.

It's a improved .338-8mm. It has a 35* shoulder instead of a 25* and the shoulder is about .498-.500" (I can't remember off the top of my head). It only amounts to 3 grains or so more capacity or less than 50fps. Honestly the fps gain is probably more like 20-25. Not hardly enough to fireform cases but I built two of them and they shoot too well to get rid of them.

Cool. I'll have to do more reading to see what I can find out about it.

I doubt I'll ever do anything in .338, but it's always interesting to read about things and learn about all the different calibers you weren't familiar with, other than their names, ya know?

I noticed your handle....Do you drive a Cummins? Just wondering because of the "CTD" part. If so, what year and what mods? I drive a 2007.5 with the 6.7 with full deletes, a bunch of other junk, and EFI Live. I was running a Smarty for a while, and before that was one of the first people to have an H&S XRT when they first came out.

Are you on Cummins Forum?

Shoot me a PM if you want, so we don't muddy up this thread with off topic convo... :cool:

Yes I have a 2006 CTD and a 2008 LMM Dmax. I build compound turbos for Cummins and Duramax's. Maximized Performance Inc. is my company.

Cool! Always cool to meet a fellow Cummins driver.

Do you frequent Cummins Forum? If you do, is your handle the same as over here?

I was looking on your website and that HTT Comp 71 looks nasty for the 6.7!

Mudrunner2005,

You said you just want a 338 to play with at the range? Why not use your 338 win mag as is?
You could mess around with various 338 bullets to your heart's content with no extra outlay.
So it isn't the fastest out there, you are only playing with it as opposed to "letting it rust".

If I were set on rechambering for that short barrel I'd consider making a 338-375 Ruger. The reamer should clean up the 338 win mag chamber AND 375 Ruger brass is always available. You could use a 338 RCM FL/seater die set. The RCM and 375 Ruger use the same shoulder angle and diameter. One pass and the brass is formed. If you need to bump the shoulder/body a 375 Ruger FL die will work. Just suggesting an inexpensive alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.