850 Lapua

efficienthunter

i am interested in making a custom hunting rifle in a wildcat cartridge based on the .338 laupu case. The proposed new cartridge is 8mm with 50mm case length. Hence the 850 Lapua. I think this should have a case capacity of approximately 80gr. powder. Is this a workable idea? If so i think this would be a great hunting rifle. Thank you in advance for any tips and/or suggestions on how i might go about this or alternatively whether is not a workable idea.

8mm is dead an buried, no reason you cant get equal or better performance with 30 or 338cal.

Many more quality bullets with 30 and 338...

YMMV,
JB

My reply will echo JB's but...
There is essentially nothing that a 8mm Lapus short will do that a 338 or 30 Lapua short won't do. A 30 or 338 will have a wider selection of bullet weights, better selection in bullet construction, and there has just flat been more development in 30 and 338 caliber bullets than anything else you could load a 210Berger in a 30, or a 300grSMK... but whats the closest competing 8mm bullet? How many accubond weights are there for 308? ..... and for 8mm?
If youre just looking for something weird, go for it, but in terms of an improvement in an existing design, im not sure its there if thats your justification.

Efficenthunter,

Yes it is feasible but I would not say practical.

I would agree with Dave and recommend you look at the 300 Dakota case as a parent case. Neck this up to 8mm and you would have exactly what you wanted.

Lapua is supposed to be taking over brass manufacturing of Dakota brass here soon as well so that is another bonus.

Anytime you shorten a case significantly you get into issues of case wall thickness and the need to ream necks and such. And in a case like the Lapua, you will get into the thick body walls of the case pretty quickly when shortening.

Kirby Allen(50)

Efficient,
Take a look at the 325WSM with its approx 51mm case length and similar diameter, this would be in my opinion the nearest commercial cartridge to what you are proposing.

One of our administrators IanM has one and if remember correctly he has killed Elk at 800yrds plus, so your proposed cartridge would certainly be a potent killer especially with an extra 10grs or so of powder.

I think its a great idea, especially if you enjoy the process of case forming and preparation, load developed etc.
Most reamer manufacturers will make you a chamber reamer on reciept of a dimensioned drawing and can also offer advice on its developement, go for it.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

PS. Where would we be if Experimenters took the word of everyone who doubted their ideas. Ooh, and a more Quirky name might be required.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.