6x6.5x47 Lapua Build?

I am going to be using a Surgeon Short Action Repeter with Badger Ordance M5 bottom metal for the 10 round magizines. How does the 6x6.5x47 Lapua feed out of a Magazine?

W.

Hey eddybo,
have u chronod any of your loads?? If so what are the velocity differences between your starting loads and max loads?? I plan on using h 4350 or varget starting at 34grs. varget/36grs.h4350 shooting bullets in the 70-87gr. range. I ordered mine with a 1-10 twist. I am sorta wondering if maybe i should have gone with a slower twist 4 that of range bullets. I'll just have to see what it likes.

Both my 6x47s have 8.5 twist barrels and I have only shot the 107s and 115s through it. My 107 load was running right at 2980 with the 115s I have been able to find an accurate load at 3100+. I I cant even remember if I used my chrono to work up either of my loads but have shot them both over my buddies oehler.

Wildcat,
I would suggest trying 6br.com I think I have seen a few loads for the lighter bullets over there. Most of the guys on the LR board shoot the high B.C bullets which are better suited for long range shooting. This is definately an impressive case with the 105-115 class bullets and will near match 300 winmag with 190 bergers trajectory. I would be more inclined to recommend the 6br if you wanted to shoot the lighter bullets.
FWIW,
308nate

Thanks for the info guys. I still would like to know what the velocity would be with the 65, 70 and 75grn poly tipped bullets with a 30" 1-12 twist barrel. This cartridge sounds very interesting. If you guys could find out any information regarding velocity with the lighter bullets and this cartridge, I would really like to hear about it.

W.

Wildcat,
I use an AI magazine on my 6x47 which is the same as the Badger. It feeds flawlessly with 105 class bullets. I highly recommend it.
again with the shorter bullets your cases will be moving back and forth a little more..could indicate some problem..probably not. I would recommend the heavier bullets, but have followed a lot of your posts and know you shy away from them so for what it's worth....

308nate

I am going to be using a Surgeon Short Action Repeter with Badger Ordance M5 bottom metal for the 10 round magizines. How does the 6x6.5x47 Lapua feed out of a Magazine?

W.

308Nate, thanks for your info. I don't shy away from the Higher BC bullets, I just like using the lighter poly tipped bullets for varminting because they provide a better show. Also, my varmint hunting buddies and myself are only shooting out to around 600 yards right now with the bulk of the shooting being done at around 400 to 500 yards, so I can get away with using the lighter bullets. It's really hard to fnd a place to shoot squirrels in California, let alone at long range.

I know the value of the High BC bullet, and I use them when shooting past a certian range. I think the 300 Varminter posts got everyone thinking that I don't use VLD bullets, however, that is false. However, my last couple of projects have been designed around the lighter bullets, so I can see your point.

Anyhow, I really appreciate the info. I thought about a 6BR, however, I want a little more power without having to move up to a 6mmAI or 6x284. This will be a high volume shooting rifle for varminting, so I want extended barrel life. From what I can tell this cartridge seems to be the ticket.

W.

Doesnt have to be Long Range for high BC bullets to shine. They splatter Varmints plenty good for me, like body parts ever where...

I'll have to agree with you on this one. I got a chance to do some P.D shooting on Sunday with my 6x47 with 105 Amax's. My youngest brother(15) managed a 400 yd. shot that launched the P.D 6 feet into the air. I have rarely seen one go this high. We made a lot of awesome one shot hits on P.D's out to 600yds. I tried 4 shots at 950 with my first shot landing 12 inches right with perfect elevation. The next three were missed only by inches, but the wind was up and down too much. my wind meter was reading 10-22 mph. in a very short period of time. I had my Exbal on my phone and with my swaro range finder it made it pretty hard to miss at 500yds. or less. With the lighter bullets 600yd shots. would have been like my experiance shooting at 950 with my heavy's in the wind we were dealing with. Needless to say I was very impressed with the bullet performance and the ability to make one shot hits at extended ranges.

308nate

P.S My 7 yr. old son managed to take a prairie dog at a ranged 399 yds. His very first shot at a P.D and his very first shot with a center fire rifle. I lined up the gun off a bi-pod with a rear bag and told him when he got the dot on the p.d to pull the trigger. well it sure didn't take him long and he had one down range. Upon impact the prairie dog lifted off the ground about 1 foot and fell as dead as dead gets. I must say I was one proud papa! exit wound was one whole side of the P.D. He also managed a head shot at 50 ft. with my .22 rim-fire. It was an awesome day. If I get a chance I will start a post with pix of my P.D shoot.

Doesn't have to be Long Range for high BC bullets to shine. They splatter Varmints plenty good for me, like body parts ever where...

Last edited:
P.S My 7 yr. old son managed to take a prairie dog at a ranged 399 yds. His very first shot at a P.D and his very first shot with a center fire rifle. I lined up the gun off a bi-pod with a rear bag and told him when he got the dot on the p.d to pull the trigger. well it sure didn't take him long and he had one down range. Upon impact the prairie dog lifted off the ground about 1 foot and fell as dead as dead gets. I must say I was one proud papa! exit would was one whole side of the P.D. He also managed a head shot at 50 ft. with my .22 rimfire. It was an awesome day. If I get a chance I will start a post with pix of my P.D shoot.

That's awesome Nate! Good stuff.:)

I have 6x6.5x47 lapua and i am new at this long range gun, i use 105 berger match grade bullet with h4350 powder and i am around 2950 fps. if any buddy out there can help me. i shoot a 6 shot group at 300 yrds they all touch, but it is up and down group not a cluster any help.

Welcome to LRHunting -Xfire1000 ,you've pulled up an old thread as you know -so maybe people are reluctant to read it .

Start a new thread of your own and people here will definately help you out ,ask away we are a friendly bunch ,although i'm not sure what your rifles problem might be .
Maybe big velocity spreads -just a guess there .

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.