Grandson's build????

HARPERC

Some time back I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Compact Rifle in 7.62x39. At the time I had it in mind to re-barrel to 6.5 Grendel.

Shot it a bit, killed a few smaller critters with it, mixed results depending on bullet selected. Kids shoot it good, generally it's been a good shooter, enough I bagged the Grendel thought. Handy little devil.

Dilemma: I sent it off with Wayne from Pendleton Stocks, for replacement of the wood stock, with as light weight a synthetic as possible. Putting a rail on it for a little more flexibility, and good solid optic mounting. The Grendel concept isn't going away, but I hate tossing a barrel that's working.

So, 6.5 Grendel vs 7.62x39- what's the consensus, and why.

Thanks

I had a failure at the end of last year with a 130 grain berger out of a Grendel..not the cart fault... I'm a huge fan of the Grendel. I think one of the best rounds pound for pound...and of still tell you Grendel...

Boy that's a tough one. My brother once told me never to shoot a donor action. Got a older Rem 700 22-250 for a 308 Precision build. 14 years later I finally burned up the barrel lol. 7.62x39 is a handy cartridge. But the Grendel is a flatter shooter. I'd probably stick with the 7.62x39. Hard for me to rebarrel a good shooter.

....What does your Grandson want?..........

LOL! Good question! He's 2, probably an RC car, at least at the Sportsmans show today he liked watching.

I've done other kid type rifles, and find it's better to have it in hand, than miss a window. I cut down a 17HMR, and put a Burris Fast Fire on it. My hunting partners grandson 5-6 is all over it. He could actually get first crack at it.

As much starting a family keepsake as anything.

Factory ammo, seems to favor the Grendel-in handloads the 99 grain Hammer 6.5, and .308 130 probably be the choices.

I have five grandchildren, so far. The oldest just turned seven and the youngest is about to turn one year old. I bought each of the three oldest, a bolt action 22 LR single-shot for their first rifle, for their 3rd birthday. I have also already bought each of them their own bolt action 223 Rem. Two T/C Compass 5R rifles, and one Ruger American left-hand 223 Rem.

Still waiting on the youngest two to show their hand, literally. Want to be sure to buy the proper hand rifle for each of them.

I have one left-hand Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor already, for my southpaw granddaughter and several 6.5 Creedmoors and 7mm-08s to choose from, for my right-handers. If it turns out that I need more lefty rifles, I'll just have to buy more.

That should be a pretty decent starting experience into the shooting world for each of them...

I've got the rimfires covered. I have a "small" 6mm Remington the kids have done fairly well with. A fairly compact .44 carbine the kids have liked. I guess this one is kind of a "micro".

Something comfortable enough to learn safe handling with, while being able to carry it themselves, and shoot a bit.

Yes, I meant to mention that all three of the 22 LRs are SS bolt action single-shot with laminate stocks. Two are Cricketts, one lefty, and one right. The other is a Henry Mini-Bolt that I added a custom laminate stock onto and pillar bedded it.

Although these 22 LR rifles are already very tiny, all three laminate stocks have been shortened an extra two inches, so that they were small enough to shoot while the kids were three years old. I saved the cut-off piece form each rifle and fit it back on as the kids grew big enough to need that two inches back.

7mm-08? I bought the Weatherby Vanguard version for the Z's when they were old enough to shoot. Slammed a break on it and a away they went. Might be a option...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts