6x6.5x47 Lapua Build?

wildcat

My 300 Varminter will be completed soon, so I am beginning to collect parts for this build. I am really interested in the 6x47 Lapua or is it the 6x6.5x47. I am not real fimiliar with it, I think necking down the 6.5x47 Lapua to 6mm is the cartridge I want because it will hold around 40+grns of powder. Anyhow, I am tying to get the correct information. I have heard really good things about how it performs, ect. I am going to be using 65, 70 and 75grn Bullets. I will be using a 30" 1-12 twist barrel. My question is what type of velocties will it produce with these bullets and barrel length.

Also, is anyone on here using this cartridge and do you like it? I was going to go ahead and build a 6mmBR, however, I wanted a 6mm with more power. This cartridge sounded like it was the middle ground for power between the 6BR and 6MM AI or 6x284. What is your opinion on this cartridge.

W.

Now your talking, good caliber choice. I am not going to try and sway your opinion on twist or bullet choice. I think you will get 6BR accuracy with a little more umph. I havent tried it with lighter bullets but saw some info over on the 6br page. My smith screwed an old 6mm barrel on his f-class gun and worked up a load with the lighter bullets I will get his data for you when I visit him on Tuesday.

BTW with those lighter bullets your favorite powder may be a suitable candidate:)

A 6-6.5x47 witha 8.5 twist to shoot the 115s at 3100 is hard to beat in f-class. I understand we all build guns to meet our specific needs. If it doesnt influence anyone to do anything dangerous I am all for it.

I know you get excited about new builds, but hey so do I, but please dont post the specs on your build everyday. But do let us know how it turns out. Good luck with it.

I Have A 6x47 Lapua I Am Shooting The 105 Bergers And A-max. Both Of The Loads That I Am Shooting Are Around 32oo Fps Out Of My 1-8 Twist 30" Broughton. I Think That This Might Be One Of The Best Small Calibers. You Get Great Velocity And Awsome Brass. You Wont Be Disipointed.

What kind of barrel life is it getting?

With the 30" barrel, would 3700fps with the 65grn and 70grn Bullet be realistic. How fast will it push the 75grn V-Max, I am thinking 3600fps or faster. Anyone have any info with the lighter bullets.

W.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I am also extremely getty about a 6X47 Lapua, and I've got one coming this next week. I am starting to think of some loads to start with, which include the 105 berger. I see the 105 Amax may work as well. BTW- mine will have the 1-8 twist barrel.

What primers are you guys going with? I can't find any CCI 450's but I did find some Federals 205M that I am thinking will work as well and I should probably jump on 'em. What do you think?

Barrel life? I dont know anyone who has worn one out yet. I have nearly 2500 rounds down mine my first 6x47, close to 500 down my new one. The throat in my old one is toast but it just keeps shooting Xs and little bitty groups. I do have a new 7.5 twist kreiger on order but am not going to have it chambered until I find out just how far I can push my old barrel.

Primers? I do not find the 6x47 to be that picky. It acts just like the 6br for me. I do find that it is very picky about seating depth but am not sure that can be attributed to anything other than the barrels. In one gun jamming works in the other I am jumping .020 and both were chambered with the same reamer.

You may be a little optimistic on your velocities but cant say as I have no experiance with the light bullets. Here is a link to a page with some info on the lighter bullets. 6X47 Lapua Loads -

Eddybo, I might be wrong but don't you have to neck down the 6.5x47 to 6mm. I thought this cartridge held more powder or is it the same cartridge and I am going crazy.

W.

You are correct.....I have both the 6-6.5x47 and the 6.5x47 I also have a 22-6.5x47 what can I say I love this case. Dont confuse this case with the old 6x47 which I think was a .223win case necked up to 6mm.

Wildcat I am not sure what the h20 capacity of the case is I am guessing around 47gr but it is just a guess. My load uses 42gr of vv560 with the 115s and it is a compressed load and I would not say that this load is safe in anyone elses gun. I think the 6-6.4x47 case is just about right for the 115s it may be a little more case than needed for the light bullets. I look at the 6x47 as a 6br on steroids.

Wildcat- you do use the 6.5X47 brass and neck down to 6mm.......I just got my brass and they are sooo coool and I can't wait to get my dies!! :)

eddybo the old 6x47was built off of a 222 mag case. the 6x47 lapua has much better ballistics. not to mention that you get lapua cases. i have reloaded 30 of my cases over 8 times and they still hold the primer well.

vv560 must like to be compressed. i am shooting it with 105 bergers. this load is crono at 3225fps. im not showing signs of pressure but wouldnt recomend anyone start with this load. i am also shooting a load with 105 amax with h4350. this load is crono at 3170 fps. i would agree with eddybo they are a little finicy with the seating depth atleast my berger load is. i havent had any trouble with the amax.

there are alot of load data on the lighter bullet in this case on 6mm.com.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I still would like to know what the velocity would be with the 65, 70 and 75grn poly tipped bullets with a 30" 1-12 twist barrel. This cartridge sounds very interesting. If you guys could find out any information regarding velocity with the lighter bullets and this cartridge, I would really like to hear about it.

W.

Tjohn I doubt you will ever have a problem with primer pockets loosening.

But your cases are probably getting close to needing annealing. After 7 or 8 loadings the neck tension starts getting inconsistant on my cases. This is not a good thing with a compressed load and seating depth sensitive bullets.

These are some tough cases. I pierced a coupe of primers in a few cases and figured they were ruined. No case head expansion and surprisingly the primers were still very tight.

eddy
did you try using the remington 7 1/2 primers i was having a lot of problems in this gun. it was blowing the primers when the cci were holding strong. just was wondering if anyone else had tried these primers...

I cant remember if I tried them or not. Win small rifle primers work so good that I have not concentrated on the primers too much. Mine has shot so many sub inch 600 yard groups that I just figure I cant do any better with the load.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.