243 OR 6x6.5x47

wildcat

I really would like to build the 6x6.5x47, however, when I talked to Badger Ordnance today, they made it sound like the 6x6.5x47 would not feed very well out of the magazines. However, they did say the 243 would work very well. I would really like the rifle to feed well so if the 243 is a better feeding cartridge maybe that would be the way to go. If I went with the 243, I would gain velocity. However, I would popably loose some barrel life. I guess the questions is, how much barrel life would the 6x6.5x47 add over the 243. I guess I can't go wrong either way. Lapua makes brass for both cartriges so that's a plus. Also, if I went with the 243, I would not have to go through the neck down proceedure. However, if the 6x6.5x47 feeds well than I will go with that cartridge, I just want to make sure it will feed well out of the magazine. I will be using 65 to 75grn bullets so I don't know if that makes a difference, however, I thought I would note that. I will also be using a Surgeon Action and they recommend I use the Badger M5 bottom metal. Your help would be appreciated on this matter.

I ordered the A-5 stock and Krieger barrel today. I went with a Kieger 28" 1-12 twist barrel. Krieger recommended the 1-12 twist barrel for 65 to 95grn bullets. I thought about going with the 1-10 twist, but I had a lot of luck with the 1-12 twist last time when using the 87grn V-Max.

W.

W.

From the load data I have seen on the 6x47 Lapua you will be hard pressed to get the 243 to shoot at those speeds , the 243 Ackley maybe but the barrel life will be cut shot by a pretty noticable margin.

The are probably thinking that the 47's case won't feed well cause its a bit shorter , this can be fixed by tweeking the mag lips some. The 243 will feed great from this mag because it was desgined around the 308 case to start with.

The 243 Ackley is one of my favorite rounds and I have shot out half a dozen barrel with them using bullets from 55 to 115grs , while it is an impressive preformer with all the bullets I woulden't build another as long as 6.5x47 Lapua brass was available

The regular 243 will have issues with brass streching loang before the 47L will although it is about 50-60% cheaper 100 pieces should last you about the life of the barrel unless you get retarded with the pressures.

Maybe you should be talking to a smith that has delt with this round some and has experiance with it feeding , I know that Nathen Dagley "308nate" here just built a tube gun on this round that uses a detachable mag , you might also call George at GA precision ,I'm sure by now they have built sombody a tactical rifle on this round.

Thanks James, so the gunsmith can work on the lips of the mags to get them to feed well? I would really like to stay with the 6x6.5x47.

W

I have never personaly done any mods to the badger mags or even inspected them in case so I'm not gonna say "yes 100%" but I'd be willing to bet on it

i shoot a 6x47 lapua built by nathan and ssg. were doing load testing on my 105 bergers and we were getting 3230 without pressure signs.

about the mag. nates tube gun uses badger mags and feeds great. i have ran his action and seen him shoot 5 shots with no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.