Stubby--Lapua

Phorwath,

I am confident you could expect to see anywhere from 100 to 125 fps increase in velocity potential over the 300 gr SMK in your Edge. To be honest, this bullet will probably be about the very best bullet available for the Edge class rounds, that includes the Lapua and my 338 Allen Xpress as well.

The lighter weight offers a velocity boost while the bullet also offers a superior BC over the 300 gr SMK. And terminally, there will be no comparision in my opinion.

In a 30" barrel, most 338 Edge rifles will get you into that 2850 fps range with a 300 gr SMK. I would say you could expect to see 2950 to possibly 3000 fps with the 265 gr AL RBBT and with a BC of around .850 to .880 compared to the SMK at around .780 in most instances.

Predicting what a bullet will do in a certain rifle is a bit hard to do as you well know but I would be amazed if you did not gain another 100 fps over the SMK.

From my inital tests, accuracy is at least as good as the SMK. I have more of these bullets hopefully showing up today for more long range testing, then I can get solid BC data derived from actual bullet drop over long range.

Another advantage of this bullet in lighter rifles, less recoil energy generated by the lighter bullet. Not alot with the added velocity but some which is always an advantage.

I do not think this bullet would need a chance in powder burn rate compared to the 300 gr SMK. Same powders should work just as well. I believe Shawn Carlocks favorite powder for the Edge is H-1000. That should still be the best for this bullet as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.