7mm08 with pics

stonepony

This is the rifle that a friend built for me and I have been playing around with a few 120 gr ballistic tip loads. Not bad for a HUNTING rifle and considering it was put together by a good ole country boy!
IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

Here are a couple of groups with the 120 BT. Not bad but I think it will do alittle better with some tinkering!
IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

Here is the only group I shot out at 200 Yards.
IMG_1514.jpg

Hopefully I will get some time to take it out to 800 yards again to see what it will do!

Will barrel heat cause the vertical stringing in these loads? I didnt let the barrel cool down much at all b/c I was very limited with my time!

STONEPONY

hey mate im curious as to why you chose the 120gr bullets. why not something like a 160ish amax or berger or something like that for long range hunting?? im looking into a 7mm08 barrel for my savage but wondering what size bullet to chamber it for.
cheers

The 120 is for my wife to shoot hunting. When I take it out long range, I plan on using the amax or 150 matchking or 162 berger.

Will barrel heat cause the vertical stringing in these loads? I didnt let the barrel cool down much at all b/c I was very limited with my time!

Yes, a hot barrel can/will cause vertical stringing. Additionally, if the rifle is hot and you close the bolt on a round, then let it stay in that oven, that will cause/increase the vertical stringing.

Your rifle shot 162 a-maxs with vv560 pretty good if I remember correctly. For the 140's that Win 760 is becoming my favorite 7mm/08 powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.