7mm08 bullet question

stonepony

I have recently had a 7mm 08 built with a krieger 1-9 twist barrel. What weight bullets are reccomended for this twist and caliber? Will this shoot the light bullets ok? I know it likes the heavier bullets (168 bergers) well because they are shooting around 5-6 inch groups out to 800 yards, but was really wanting to shoot the 120 BT's at some whitetails. Havent had much luck with them yet. I have been using varget and imr4350. Any help is appreciated.

I have recently had a 7mm 08 built with a krieger 1-9 twist barrel. What weight bullets are reccomended for this twist and caliber? Will this shoot the light bullets ok? I know it likes the heavier bullets (168 bergers) well because they are shooting around 5-6 inch groups out to 800 yards, but was really wanting to shoot the 120 BT's at some whitetails. Havent had much luck with them yet. I have been using varget and imr4350. Any help is appreciated.

I have been trying to get the Varget to work because it is an extreme powder but it still can't
match my best load. This is the best I have found but please work up to it. ( It is not dangerous
but it is hot).

120 gr ballistic tip, cci br2 primer,49.5grains of H414 for a velocity of 3010 ft/sec. in a 1 in 9 Lilja .

The best group to date with this load was .053" @ 100 yards.

Out of 5 or 6 7/08s that I know of this has been the best load for all of them.

I have tried going down as low as 47 grs and as high as 51 grs but the 49.5 is the best.

The reason I have tried to get the varget to work is that in 100o + temps the velocity will
go as high as 3150 ft/sec (Very Hot).

J E CUSTOM

So I am taking it that the 1-9 twist should be fine for the 120's to 140's! I guess I will have to play with some different powders to get the 120's to shoot. Thanks for the load help and will be definitly be getting some H414 to try out. I remember you saying that it is temperature sensitive. What kind of temperatures are you talking about?

So I am taking it that the 1-9 twist should be fine for the 120's to 140's! I guess I will have to play with some different powders to get the 120's to shoot. Thanks for the load help and will be definitly be getting some H414 to try out. I remember you saying that it is temperature sensitive. What kind of temperatures are you talking about?

The 1 in 9 twist is perfect for the 120s to the 160s in the 7/08. If I want to use a larger 7mm bullet then I step up to the 7 STW or The 7mm RUM because of velocity. and still use the 1 in 9
twist.

The temperature in south Texas exceeds 100o in the summer. (We have only two seasons
summer and winter)

During deer season the average temp is from 20o to 45o but when your trying to work up loads
it's back to 90+ for about 6 months.

The plus side of using the 120 ballistic tip is that it drops dear in there tracts.

When you try H414 work in 2/10ths increments.

good luck

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.