Which would you pick.. 7mm08 - 270

timberelk

Which rifle would you pick for antelope, mule deer and maybe elk..

Weatherby wilderness 270 win with a 24" fluted barrel, bell and Carlson stock with aluminum bed block for $750. Comes in at 6.75 lbs

Howa 1500 KUIU Vias with a 20" barrel, houge stock that is pillar bedded for $400. Comes in at 7lbs but with a bell and Carlson stock for $280 I could get it down to about 6.8 lbs

I would like to everyone to consider lealhity at ranges out to 500/600 yards(this is number one of importance to me), recoil(this is number two of importance to me), muzzle blast, value (features per $ spent), etc.

Pick the one you like the most.
The animals won't know the difference if bullet placement is correct.

Which rifle would you pick for antelope, mule deer and maybe elk..

Weatherby wilderness 270 win with a 24" fluted barrel, bell and Carlson stock with aluminum bed block for $750. Comes in at 6.75 lbs

Howa 1500 KUIU Vias with a 20" barrel, houge stock that is pillar bedded for $400. Comes in at 7lbs but with a bell and Carlson stock for $280 I could get it down to about 6.8 lbs

I would like to everyone to consider lealhity at ranges out to 500/600 yards(this is number one of importance to me), recoil(this is number two of importance to me), muzzle blast, value (features per $ spent), etc.
Neither. I'd look at the same two rifles for a .260 Rem, 6.5CM, or 6.5x55 and for a 7mm RM or 300wm and if available then decide between two of those.

With recoil being of great importance to you then I'd definitely be looking at the 6.5's.

Flatter shooting, less recoil.

The 7mm-08 is just underpowered as 7mm's go and ballistically inferior to the 6.5's mentioned above.

The .270 is just not a caliber that has ever impressed me, I'd take the ..280 Rem or .284win over it any day and certainly over the 7mm-08.

You also have a vast array of great bullets on the market in the 6.5's and 7mm's and comparatively limited choices in the .270.

One of the great things about living in this country is that when it comes to firearms we are far more limited by our own imaginations than we are available options and choices.

Of the two choices, the 270 hands down. Great round if you want a flat shooting deer hammer. Got my stepson a 270 and he has killed a few whitetail with it, as have I...I like to use his rifle sometimes. I have no doubt with proper bullet selection it would perform just fine on elk also.

Neither. I'd look at the same two rifles for a .260 Rem, 6.5CM, or 6.5x55 and for a 7mm RM or 300wm and if available then decide between two of those.

With recoil being of great importance to you then I'd definitely be looking at the 6.5's.

The 7mm-08 is just underpowered as 7mm's go and ballistically inferior to the 6.5's mentioned above.

The .270 is just not a caliber that has ever impressed me, I'd take the ..280 Rem or .284win over it any day and certainly over the 7mm-08.

You also have a vast array of great bullets on the market in the 6.5's and 7mm's and comparatively limited choices in the .270.

One of the great things about living in this country is that when it comes to firearms we are far more limited by our own imaginations than we are available options and choices.
agree and disagree. my wife shoots a 7mm-08 but I wouldn't want to stretch it past 400 yards on Elk, so I agree with you there. Where I disagree with you is 6.5s for elk out to 600 yards. To me, they are not enough. Can it be done and has it been done...yup. Are there much better cartridges for Elk at those ranges YES!

To the OP, if anything bigger than a whitetail is in the rifle's future, id get a higher power rifle for 600 yard shots on Elk in my opinion. 7mm rem mag, 300 WSM, 300 Win mag...for example. Just my thoughts.

Recoils is of high importance because I started off shooting a 300 WM and while it put down whatever I hit, I developed bad shooting form due to the high recoil. I'd also like to see bullet impacts on game/targets. Muzzle brakes are great but not on the ears while hunting

Either one will fit the bill. If 7-08 I would not look at 175g bullets. Only 2600fps muzzle vel. Look at 140's for 3000fps

Steve

Recoils is of high importance because I started off shooting a 300 WM and while it put down whatever I hit, I developed bad shooting form due to the high recoil. I'd also like to see bullet impacts on game/targets. Muzzle brakes are great but not on the ears while hunting

All 3 of my .300 WM sports a muzzle brake and the felt recoil is comparable to .243s. You can have ear protection from $.10 foarmies to $$$ electronic ear protection.

Here's an 8-year old girl shooting a .300 WM with MB ...

and another with .300 WSM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.