Which brand 270, 308, or 7mm08?

Simply pick a reputable gunsmith (you cannot go wrong with any of the sponsor smith and their muzzle brakes) and ask what kind of muzzle brake they have (or purchase the one you want) and have the smith install it.

went to our local gunsmith...he said a muzzlebrake installed will be about 250 for brake and labor. he also suggested magnaporting....any feelings on this? he said lots of local hunters and shooter have Ben going the magnaporting route

Last edited:
Just my two cents- haven't had a lot of experience with the 308. Really looked into getting one, and lots of buddies have them, so I've had quite a bit of second hand info and "do you mind if I tetch one off" moments. I've had no experience with 7mm08. All this being said I would go with a 270. Just for availability of commercial ammunition. I've hunted for about 8 years with one and I've never had to trail one more than 15yd, most are DRT. 270 has lots of good balistics, especially if you hand load. I'm gettin around 2800 at the barrel with Nosler Balistic Tip BT that are pushed with 52gr of IMR4831. I've had no problem out to 450yds, so 250 shouldn't be a hassel to you. As for rifles I prefer my Browning A-Bolt Medallion, however ill probably get an X-Bolt stalker soon. Much like you I would like the synthetic and stainless. I've had some issues with Remington and Savage, and I've never had a problem out of my Browning. So maybe I'm a little biased about that portion. However, bottom line is if you go with the 270 you won't be dissapointed. That's just my view on the matter.

BTB

went to our local gunsmith...he said a muzzlebrake installed will be about 250 for brake and labor. he also suggested magnaporting....any feelings on this? he said lots of local hunters and shooter have Ben going the magnaporting route

Depending on what kind of brake, $250 is an average price.

P3031682_zps3b03c556.jpg

This is on my .270 AI, a JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley, brake and installation is $225. My smith charges $100 for installation + the brake. You can get very good muzzle brakes for ~$50

Here she is pushing 175gr Matrix VLD at 2919 FPS while fireforming. NOTE: I forgot my rear bags to help me stabilized the shot but turned out OK nonetheless.

JMHHO, but I'd stay away from magnaporting on rifles; great on shotguns though. If you use the custom search (top right), there's plenty of topics, i.e. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/muzzle-porting-25112/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a new wrench to throw into this now and hopefully someone may have some advice. My whole issue basically boils down to accuracy with out custom rifles and handloading. I hope to get into handloading eventually but probably not in the near future. I just noticed the browning BOSS system...and have heard it does tend to help accuracy. You can take factory loads and get better accuracy out of them...now again...of course im sure the rifle will still prefer one load over another but my question is:
is I have found a 308 browning A-bolt with BOSS that comes with both the muzzle brake and conventional recoil system for the same cost of a remington 700 staulker in 270. For accuracy alone...would it be wise to buy the BOSS or do you all think the remington 700 would be able to produce sub MOA (1inch at a 100 yards) anyways? I am concerned about hitting 350-400 yards with AT LEAST 1 MOA accuracy.

Send me a pm if you are interested in a Tikka 7mm-08 as I might be willing to sell mine which is two months old. Just want a heavier gun. It was professionally tuned by a reputable gunsmith, 1.5 pound trigger, bolt through extended so you can load longer bullets, large rifle magazine added but still have the orignial short rifle magazine, Burris C4 30mm scope professionally installed, etc, etc, etc.

If you look around you will find that the BOSS system is not very popular. I suspect that is because it takes a lot of shooting to figure out your settings, but that is just my conjecture. In addition, as they act - in some ways - like a muzzle brake you will have to be prepared for increased muzzle blast.

Honestly, every Weatherby Vanguard I own shoots under 1 MOA with factory ammo. They shoot so well that I just purchased another one from a member here so I can continue to play with the 270 Win cartridge. The recoil is mild and a pleasure to shoot. So, having watched your thread since the beginning that's where I would go. However, you'll have to do what suits you best.

Big- from what you have stated. the tikka in .270 ( or 30-06) have aq vais brake installed . and a good scope. enjoy.

If you look around you will find that the BOSS system is not very popular. I suspect that is because it takes a lot of shooting to figure out your settings, but that is just my conjecture. In addition, as they act - in some ways - like a muzzle brake you will have to be prepared for increased muzzle blast.

Honestly, every Weatherby Vanguard I own shoots under 1 MOA with factory ammo. They shoot so well that I just purchased another one from a member here so I can continue to play with the 270 Win cartridge. The recoil is mild and a pleasure to shoot. So, having watched your thread since the beginning that's where I would go. However, you'll have to do what suits you best.

I thought the BOSS now comes with a CR(conventional recoil) which still allows tuning but eliminates the noise of the brake so you use brake at range and CR in the field. The other reason I liked the idea of the BOSS was that since I use factory loads I would be able to say tune to a 130-150grain for whitetails and then if I went on a moose/elk hunt I could now tune to a factory 180-200 grain load...from what I heard your typical rifle MAY only like one type bullet weight/factory load. For example my browning x-bolt 300WSM shoots 1moa 165grain fusions but every 180 grain load I tried opened to about 2-3MOA. I just liked the idea of the versitility of the the BOSS...maybe it doesnt work as advertised I guess.

the m40 and m24 do not have a boss. i have shot in rifle competition out to 1000 yards i have never shot against a browning. i have never shot against some who had a boss on their gun.

...since I use factory loads I would be able to say tune to a 130-150grain for whitetails and then if I went on a moose/elk hunt I could now tune to a factory 180-200 grain load

That sounds like a need for 2 rifles, not a need for a BOSS. :D

Short of handloading - and even then it might be iffy - trying to get a 30 caliber (since it's the only one that has all those weights available) to shoot both ends of the bullet weight spectrum well using factory loads will be tough.

Try a 270 with 130-150 gr bullets, or a 30 caliber with 180s. Get good at shooting it and don't worry about 2 loads. The 270 can take elk and moose, and the 30 caliber will just make the deer a little bit deader. :cool:

Any of the rifles and loads that have been brought up on this thread will work for you. It you want a 1 MOA rifle, buy one guaranteed to shoot MOA. Weatherby Vanguards, and a few others in their line have this guarantee, I think TC makes at least one as well. That Tikka 17Fireball offered might be a good one too.
You can meet your goal using factory everything, and at a reasonable price, but probably not the least expensive prices.

I know that the whole felt recoil thing is something that is always argued, but here is my findings;

I have a 7mm-08 that is lighter in weight than my .270. The recoil on the 7mm feels much less than the .270. My .270 recoil feels the same as my '06, maybe a tad bit less.
If recoil is an issue, I would go with the 7mm.

You said in your OP that shooting distance is 300 and under. Depending on how you analyze cartridges for lethality, I think it would be hard to say that the .270 is better at that range than the 7mm.

Ammo availability- Where I live, the .270 ammo is way easier to get than the 7mm-08. I've never "not" been able to find 7mm, but the choices are less.

I love my .270. Will never sell it. But recently I've been using my son's 7mm on hunts. It's lighter and fun to shoot. Great to pack around on those long hikes up and down steep canyon's.We've taken 2 elk, 3 deer and a bear in the last few years. All were under 300 except the bear. He was 345yds across a canyon.
Went antelope hunting this summer. No brainer for me. I left the 7mm home and took the .270. Ended up taking my lope at 500 yds. I actually wish I took my 300 wsm.

Again, this is just my personal experience. YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.