7mm08 to 7mmSAUM

ShadS

Hi guys,

I really want to convert my 7mm08 to 7mm SAUM, the rifle is a Tikka t3 lite stainless which I got about 2 years ago. Will the chamber be able to handle the pressures of the 7mm SAUM? If so, what is the process of converting it? Would you just bore out the chamber and change the bolt face? Any help/guidance/information is really appreciated!

Cheers!!!

You will need to change the bolt face and mag.
Re barrel it depends how much meat there is on you're barrel but I think most smiths will want to chop most or all of the old chamber off. Which will leave you nothing to work with on a sported barrel.
I think you would be better off selling the 7.08 and find a mag bolt face donor and re barreling it.
SAUM is a super round and tikka actions make great semi customs but don't make life hard for yourself.
Choose a good gunsmith and chat to them, they may have a donor to hand.

Hi guys,

I really want to convert my 7mm08 to 7mm SAUM, the rifle is a Tikka t3 lite stainless which I got about 2 years ago. Will the chamber be able to handle the pressures of the 7mm SAUM? If so, what is the process of converting it? Would you just bore out the chamber and change the bolt face? Any help/guidance/information is really appreciated!

Cheers!!!

If you want to increases the performance of the 7/08 another and much easier way is to re chamber it to a 7/08x40 (AI).

This will get you between 100 and 150 ft/sec depending on which bullet, and require zero modifications to the action, Bolt, rails or the magazine.

The brass used is the same and with the 40o shoulder it holds up better. also now you can buy Lapua head stamped 7/08 brass.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.