Best action for 7mmSAUM

Topshot

I am looking at building a 7mm SAUM and am looking for advice on the best length and make of action for this particular cartridge.

I plan on fitting a 30" barrel to the action.

Thanks

If it were me I would either do it in a SA Winchester 70, or a LA rem700. My reason being that a short action Remington will not give you a lot of room to mess with seating your bullets out, the long action will give you all you need. I have a Winchester 70 featherweight that I bought in 2002 in a 7mm WSM, there is plenty of room in the factory mag box for seating out bullets; a Wyatts would help even more.

Check out the Borden Alpine (short action) / Timberline (long action). These actions are superb and Jim's customer service is outstanding .

Dan

I believe the defiance machine actions are some of the best, maybe the best out there. Kirby Allen is using them and it's hard to argue with his long range gun performance. They are designed and built by a former benchrest shooter who also founded Nesika actions.
His five axis cnc allows for some machining processes not practical for other manufacturers.

All of them that I have built have been benchrest 1000yd light guns so they are single shot actions. I have built on a Lawton 7500 Short action, a Savage Model 12 and a Defiance Long action. I like the Lawton by far the best and of course the Savage comes in last. There is nothing wrong with the Savage, it just isn't in the same class as a custom action. I am thinking about doing one on a Savage 110 Short action this winter, only because I have all the components on hand to do it, not because it is "better mousetrap". I am sure that if I decide to make it feed form the magazine it will be an interesting endeavor. I am also considering making it a 6.5 Creedmoor though.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.