7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Boy, am I late to this party! hehe, better late than not at all. Yep, I have one on a Remy 700, Shilen 26" barrel, and is a switch barrel to a 358 STA. Right now I'm changing scopes and am having an adapter made so I can use my suppressor on it. (Somehow the brake has a strange threading.)
I will say that so far my rifle enjoys the 150 Swift Sciroccos. I was shooting 140 Acubonds and thought if you hit a deer with it, it was naturally going to run off a 100 yards and die. Kinda like my other deer rifles did.That was til I started using the Sciroccos. No matter how far, it either dropped them where they stood or flipped them to DRT. Could not believe the difference. I also haven't put the throttle to it, only running 3174 fps. But the deer are still DRT ! As soon as I can get the adapter I will make a run to the range and let you know what happens.
BTW, the 358 STA is great moose medicine!:D

I finally pulled the trigger on a STW build today, I always said I'd have one when remington first published about making them commercially in guns and ammo or shooting times magazine back in the 90s.

I changed my mind from a 7mm-300win mag, when I saw 8mm mag brass for sale in the classifieds last night and knew exactly what I was gonna do with them.

It will be built off a savage 110 action, CDI bottom metal, timney trigger, manners MCS-T2 stock, Shilen match stainless 8twist heavy Palma contour, warne bases, and TPS rings.

I'm going to run 180 Bergers or SMKs or 175 nosler LRAB, anybody got any suggestions on where to start with powders I've got RL22, H1000, H869, and can get my hands on RL25&33. All help greatly appreciated.

I've been running 175 ABLR's behind Fed 215M primers and 77 grains of H1000 and seeing some really nice groups. I had a Wyatt's box installed in mine in spite of lots of advice otherwise to let her JUMP from standard box length. Groups came together really nice between .050" and .75" Jump. That's about as close as you probably want to get to the lands - started seeing pressure signs at .025"

Factory nosler 175 accubond long range shot 3066 ave. out of my 27.25" tube (Krieger) and they're about the same at 77 grains of H1000, but my chrony was dead last time I went out and shot them. I shot out to 1000 yards using the same ballistic data and she held real close so I'm assuming they're in the same ballpark.

My best groups were at .050" off the lands and measured under .3" center to center. The worst group with this load was about 5/8".

Anybody tried RL33 yet? Picked up a couple pounds recently as I saw that Alliant listed some loads for the STW using RL33... Just curious what guys are seeing. It's a good slow burner and uses a lot of powder for higher fill %. Just curious to see what kind of velocity variations guys are seeing. My next step is trying some ladders hoping to find some low SD's for better long range vertical groups with the 175 accubond long range bullets.

Need some Accubond Long Range 175's

Can any of the brothers help me out??

Burned up 100 already and have some hunts right around the corner...

20 would probably get me by & I'm willing to pay a premium.

[email protected]

Thanks!

Coop

I'm very excited to get this Christensen 7STW! It is built on a winchester 70 action. I need to get it ready to hunt quickly. Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with this setup? For now it will get a Leupold VXII 6-18x40 scope.

Attachments

• 10590580_10202577514301631_4023216395807808641_n.jpg
    10590580_10202577514301631_4023216395807808641_n.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm very excited to get this Christensen 7STW! It is built on a winchester 70 action. I need to get it ready to hunt quickly. Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with this setup? For now it will get a Leupold VXII 6-18x40 scope.
Nice rig. The first thing you need to do is step up to better glass. The Old VXII is not what you need for long range hunting.

Step up to a Vortex Viper PST or Leupold VXII 4.5-14x50 if you are on a budget.

Larger objective and better quality glass beats higher magnification, smaller objective, and lower quality glass every time.

You just can't get the parallax and focal quality out of the VXII that you can out of the better scopes and once you move past 300yds parallax adjustment and sharpness really make a big difference.

Nice rig. The first thing you need to do is step up to better glass. The Old VXII is not what you need for long range hunting.

Larger objective and better quality glass beats higher magnification, smaller objective, and lower quality glass every time.

You just can't get the parallax and focal quality out of the VXII that you can out of the better scopes and once you move past 300yds parallax adjustment and sharpness really make a big difference.

So to properly focus a scope, can you help me rose??
Do I focus on the image and parallax the reticle to match??
Or what. I tried this the other day and it's not the easiest thing to get both focused.

So to properly focus a scope, can you help me rose??
Do I focus on the image and parallax the reticle to match??
Or what. I tried this the other day and it's not the easiest thing to get both focused.
Once you have your reticle crisply in focus it should not change.

That should remain true at any range on any power, if it's not holding true something is wrong with the scope.

I then focus the parallax in a over/under fashion until the edges cease to shift and the image becomes crisp.

The longer the shot the more important that becomes and with the quality of optics you have it should never be a problem.

Correction on the above. Make that VX-3 4.5-14x50, not a VXII. Even the older VXIII is a big step up from the VXII

I had Christensen build a 7STW for me on a 700 action many years back. Not being educated on bullet weight/rifling twist requirements or being asked by them what twist I wanted, I ended up with a Shilen 1 in 11 twist for the sleeve. Now I have a 7STW that shoots the 140 gr Interbonds and Bergers great, but will not shoot the heavier bullets worth a hoot..... That was an expensive learning experience for me, I hope you were smarter than I was.

I had Christensen build a 7STW for me on a 700 action many years back. Not being educated on bullet weight/rifling twist requirements or being asked by them what twist I wanted, I ended up with a Shilen 1 in 11 twist for the sleeve. Now I have a 7STW that shoots the 140 gr Interbonds and Bergers great, but will not shoot the heavier bullets worth a hoot..... That was an expensive learning experience for me, I hope you were smarter than I was.
Same problem here with a 10" twist.... 140's = great... by the time you start trying to spin a 160 or heavier boat tail you are up the crick without paddling lumber...
I've got a 7rum to spin the big dogs though.