7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

The classifieds here work as good as anything, Gunbroker too maybe if it's really special, but it will sell quick here. Accumark's aren't anything special sorry to say. most people hunt or target shoot, Weatherby's are hard to make super accurate but great hunting weapons. Not typically used for dangerous game though and not customizable like Remington footprints. Guys that know guns know this, you'll find that out here. I'd try Gunbroker, it's less humiliating if you are stuck on a price. Good Luck either way.

I finally got out and shot my first 7mm stw rifle. I recently got a winchester model 70 classic stainless in a bc medalist stock with a kdf muzzle break. I have wanted to try a pre 64 model 70 for a long time to see what the hype is about and I have to admit the rifle doesn't disappoint. The action is smooth as glass, the trigger is the old type and adjusted well, and the stock fits like a glove. As for the cartridge I was suitably impressed with it but didn't really get to stretch it's legs at all, the area i was shooting barely hits 200 yards, so I'll reserve judgement but with the muzzle break it was extremely manageable in terms of recoil. Don't know if that kdf makes makes a huge difference or if the cartridge loaded with a 160 gr AB recoils lightly to begin with but it kicked like a 243, my pet loads in my m1a slaps harder.

I can't wait to do some reloading for this thing and really see what she can do, just have to figure out a bullet to use and find a powder, leaning towards a 168 gr berger or 145 gr barnes possibly an AB, over h 1000 or re22. So far all I can find is 7828 though so thinking about giving it a go until I can find better. Any insight would be most welcome as the last 600 pages have been quite insightful and pushed me over the edge towards this fantastic 7mm beauty

Surfr, welcome ! You made a good choice in both rifle and cal. Now, since it sports a muzzle brake, might I strongly suggest swapping it for a suppressor. Yep, a suppressor for the mighty STW ! I would not have believed the results if I didn't do it myself. I'll never shoot a brake again! If you know someone who has one, see if you can meet up and try it. You may not have the right threads for it, but adapters are easy to get made. Do yourself a great favor, look into suppressors!
As for loading, if you are out West and go after Elk or other bigger game, I don't think you can beat the Swift Scirocco in 150 grains. I have heard of a south Africa bullet maker (who has an office in the US) that makes one like the new Barnes; but these guys show an incredible velocity gain and excellent accuracy. I'm also having very good results with RL19. Seems my best powder so far.
Enjoy the rifle! It is a fine one in a great round.
OH! Don't go cheap on the scope and mounts! You'll regret that if you do.

I finally got out and shot my first 7mm stw rifle. I recently got a winchester model 70 classic stainless in a bc medalist stock with a kdf muzzle break. I have wanted to try a pre 64 model 70 for a long time to see what the hype is about and I have to admit the rifle doesn't disappoint. The action is smooth as glass, the trigger is the old type and adjusted well, and the stock fits like a glove. As for the cartridge I was suitably impressed with it but didn't really get to stretch it's legs at all, the area i was shooting barely hits 200 yards, so I'll reserve judgement but with the muzzle break it was extremely manageable in terms of recoil. Don't know if that kdf makes makes a huge difference or if the cartridge loaded with a 160 gr AB recoils lightly to begin with but it kicked like a 243, my pet loads in my m1a slaps harder.

I can't wait to do some reloading for this thing and really see what she can do, just have to figure out a bullet to use and find a powder, leaning towards a 168 gr berger or 145 gr barnes possibly an AB, over h 1000 or re22. So far all I can find is 7828 though so thinking about giving it a go until I can find better. Any insight would be most welcome as the last 600 pages have been quite insightful and pushed me over the edge towards this fantastic 7mm beauty
I shoot 7828 SSC in mine with 180 Bergers, and so far it is showing excellent accuracy and velocity.

Well I got some 7828 sc today because it was what was available at my lgs. Now gonna figure out what to shoot, they didn't have any bergers in 7mm below the 180 which I think is too much for my twist rate. They had 150 gr LRAB, 145 barnes tsx, and the 150 gr scirocco. I know I can shoot the 160 gr LRAB without key holing issues so I've been looking at trying the 168s but I don't know if I'd be missing out by skipping over the lighter bullets. I'm hoping to use this rifle as a longish range elk and mule deer gun in eastern washington, setting my max range of about 700 yards. The only bullet I've really heard reviews on is the scirocco so far, and I've shot accubond at deer with good results but never long range. Any input would be awesome

surfr716, I'd go with the 160lrab if you already know your rifle eats it. I've been using the 140ab with rl25 under it for years here but anything 140gr or heavier will do well for you. A bit of extra weight might help with penetration on elk too.

Surfr, go back and buy the Scirrocos! I was shooting the 140 Acc.Bonds and deer died, after running 100yards. Made the switch to 150 Swifts and DRT! Every deer was either thrown down or dropped where it stood. No matter what the range. If you can find the Hornady 150 A Max ,or any other 150 bullet, it will be a cheaper bullet to practice and work up a load. I shoot 70.0gr. RL19 in mine for 3200fps and under 2" at 200. That's easily minute of deer! As always, work up to that or any published load. These STWs are very individual in their load/pressure levels.

Well, I know that I have not mentioned anything about this, but my wife took a transfer within the company that she works. This transfer moved us across the country, to a state where I can use my 2 7 mm STW's on game now!!!

Elk, deer, bear, and all legal for the STW's to open up on.

The drive from Ohio to Washington in mid December was rough though.

Bill

Lee,

Thanks

We are South East of Seattle. I can see Mount Rainer when I go to town. Wish we could see it from the house, but that cost more. I can be at Mount Rainer in about an hour and half or so.

Bill

Lee,

Thanks

We are South East of Seattle. I can see Mount Rainer when I go to town. Wish we could see it from the house, but that cost more. I can be at Mount Rainer in about an hour and half or so.

Bill
Thats Awesome Brother ..... I have been in that area a bunch and I'm sure you are loving it ...... Big change from Ohio but I'm sure you will adapt quick ..... Can't wait to hear about your upcoming hunting season