7mm SAUM or 6.5 PRC

I had a 7 SAUM and my son has a 6.5 PRC. I like both of them and think that either would do what you are looking for. When you are talking elk at longer ranges, I prefer a heavier bullet, so the 7 SAUM would be my pick. I am considering building another one on a Tikka action.
7saum is what I use

The thread on here about the resizing problem put me off the 6.5 prc for now, especially having to pay a premium for brass. 7saum has been much more available for me so I'm going that way for now. As I love, like many others, the short action magnums. But 7saum since I'm getting to hunt moose this year in Alaska for the first time since moving wanted heavier bullets.

I am going down the same rabbit hole with the 7Saum on a T3X Magnum Lite long action. Where did/would you guys go to get a 7saum tikka carbon fiber prefit that is throated long?

I saw proof has 7saum tikka prefits but only 22 or 24", but no mention of throat. I was also leaning towards even shorter yet at 20" and keep it manageable with a 8" can.

I am going down the same rabbit hole with the 7Saum on a T3X Magnum Lite long action. Where did/would you guys go to get a 7saum tikka carbon fiber prefit that is throated long?

I saw proof has 7saum tikka prefits but only 22 or 24", but no mention of throat. I was also leaning towards even shorter yet at 20" and keep it manageable with a 8" can.
It's pretty easy to use a throating tool to deepen the lands. Can rent one from 4d rental for reasonable price. Tikka barrels are usually a sob to get off, so a smith could do that for you, throat thr new barrel, and make up the new barrel and verify headspace.

It's pretty easy to use a throating tool to deepen the lands. Can rent one from 4d rental for reasonable price. Tikka barrels are usually a sob to get off, so a smith could do that for you, throat thr new barrel, and make up the new barrel and verify headspace.
I actually found just a T3X Magnum Lite action so I was hoping it would be a at home job with a prefit. Guess I'll try it and if I can't run the bullets I can find at the length/distance off the lands I want, I'll see about throating it deeper. I think I'm going to give carbonsix a whirl.

I actually found just a T3X Magnum Lite action so I was hoping it would be a at home job with a prefit. Guess I'll try it and if I can't run the bullets I can find at the length/distance off the lands I want, I'll see about throating it deeper. I think I'm going to give carbonsix a whirl.
What bullet(s) are you wanting to run?

Honestly about anything I can find before hunting season. This is my first 7mm so I don't have any bullets
Since elk are in the equation, you gotta go at least 7mm. I would try the 180gr eldm. My rifle loves them and they have a great bc.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.