7mm SAUM or 6.5 PRC

I built a 6.5 SAUM to shoot deer with the 140s out to 1000 yards while maintaining at least 1000 ft*lbs of energy. I owned a 7 RM and shoot the 168s and loved that combo. I sold the 7 RM but ever since, I wanted a 7 SAUM to shoot the 168s. I could hunt elk with confidence using the 156s, but its on the lighter end for longer range elk projectiles. I have more dedicated LR elk guns to choose from anyways.

For your choice, bullet weight is the only thing different. If you like heavier bullets, go the 7.

Being northeast I didn't really think a lot of members shoot elk. With elk in the equation it would be more like moose and I would lean towards a 7mm and heavier bullets. For everything else I hunt the 6.5PRC is really what I want however. I think I hafta own a 6.5PRC at some point, a savage ultralite carbon really has my eye but they are in a short action :(

I love my 6.5's, but I would go with a SAUM case regardless of what caliber you choose.
I am just starting to dabble with my first 7mm, a 7STW. Time will tell if I end liking the 7mm, have never been a fan.

Cheers.

I have two of each cal love 6.5 cal but I think 7suam is a litter better hunting round and easier to tune but that just me thanks

Laker--------hope all's well

I'm a big time 7 fan but think the world of the 6.5 PRC, you know your way around a rifle very well. I'd say go 6.5 PRC and call it a day. You could always use the 95 VM to bbq yotes come winter:)

Just built a switch lug 6.5 prc on a curtis axiom with a proof 26 in barrel ag stock diamon trigger tech trigger easy 3300 fps with 124 gr hammers next barrel either 300 wsm or saum maybe even 7 saum takes about 5 min to switch

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.