7MM RUM seeking advise

Love my .300 Rum! I have an extra barrel for it when I burn this one up. I haven't shot much heavier than 180 grain bullets. Recoil is stout but not excessive. I'll stay with the 180's or lighter. Don't know much about the Nosler cartridges. You might need to open the magezine rails a little for a the nosler brass(don't know for sure). The RUM is opened slightly already. I have a 7STW I built with a 27 inch Senduro fluted barrel. Don't really see the need for a 28 Nosler. Maybe if I didn't already have the STW. I say stick with the .300 RUM. Although you might consider a .338 RUM, but make sure it has a muzzle brake. Mine without the brake installed has recoil that is absolutely brutal.

I purchased my 7Rum in the year 2000, it was the first rifle off the press at remingtons custom shop called the Alaskan wilderness rifle. It had a sporter barrel and a custom McMillan stock and shot lights out with the factory 140 partitions. I fired 100 of those and started reloading the 154 interbond. It would easily shoot 1/2 moa at a velocity of 3475. I have long range Blacktail and mule deer kills with that combo out to 991 yards. I shot that barrel out in around 700 rounds. Fast forward years later went with a Hart barrel and Berger 180's at a velocity of around 3280, very accurate and lethal. I am now on my third barrel this time a Bartlein at 27 inch and its shooting the 155 Hammer Hunters very accurate. What I would recommend for loading is keep the case fill up meaning choose a powder that fills the case at least 90%. Retumbo has been great for me. Also they like the heavy long bullets near max load. I treat mine like a high performance race car not a daily driver. I have a safe full of rifles and this one is the one I always take hunting. Knocks the daylights out of anything it hits! If your into the high performance calibers then go for it, but barrel life is an issue. I have no experience with the 28 Nosler but I'm sure its not far behind the Rum. Cheers and happy shooting, Jason
Very similar to my experience. I found early Remington brass for it to be the worst I ever experienced. And now Remington does not load for it. The factory refered me to Barnes for ammunition.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.