7MM RUM seeking advise

AlphaDogs

Purchased well worn early 300 Rum. Thinking of one of these Savage style barrels for it.

Does not seem to be a lot of information on that cartridge.

If you want a hot 7mm, then I'd look into a 28 Nosler. More brass and better brass options for the Nosler and ballistics are very very similar between the two. The Nosler can also be loaded to full potential with 180-195gr bullets and still fit and feed in the standard box magazine without having to single feed or go to an extended mag box. The 7mm RUM is a dying cartridge and the 28 Nosler is here to stay and continues to grow in popularity.

28 nosler and 7rum are only very very similar In a 26". If you get a RUM, throw a 30" barrel on that bad boy and nobody will say it's very very close to a 28N. The RUM needs more room to stretch its legs. Anybody shooting a 28 Nosler that's getting 3,300 FPS with a 197 smk can chime and in prove me wrong though. My RUM has 494 rounds on the barrel and I'm still getting .5-.6 MOA at 800. That'll do.

The RUM is like a top fuel drag car. You won't get many miles but they are the most fun miles you can have. The 28 Nosler is a shade behind it.

For those that have any info, I'd be interested too. I've been thinking of a 28N or 7RUM.

I keep hearing that the performance is very similar, but this is going to be a rifle I don't mind running as a single shot. If you take COAL restrictions out of the equation and assume that both are throated properly does that still hold true? Seems like if they were both loaded long and throated properly the 7RUM would have a distinct advantage as it has about 8grns additional capacity (h2o)

I'd be looking at the 180gr-198gr bullets myself

For those that have any info, I'd be interested too. I've been thinking of a 28N or 7RUM.

I keep hearing that the performance is very similar, but this is going to be a rifle I don't mind running as a single shot. If you take COAL restrictions out of the equation and assume that both are throated properly does that still hold true? Seems like if they were both loaded long and throated properly the 7RUM would have a distinct advantage as it has about 8grns additional capacity (h2o)

I'd be looking at the 180gr-198gr bullets myself
The 28N hits a perfect balance for the most powder you can burn in 26" relatively efficiently. The longer the barrels between the two, the more the RUM wins. At 26" they are very close. At 28 not so much. At 30 the rum is walking away.

I went with a 7 wsm for a super efficient 26" pack rifle. And a long and heavy RUM to send 195s and 197s in a single shot

195s at 3150 in a 26" barrel is achievable with RL33 in a 28 Nosler that is properly throated. It would be 3200+ with a 30" barrel. Yes the RUM is faster, but finding brass for it is becoming harder and harder, and you have to single load it unless you get the 4" mag box from Wyatt's. The Nosler is just simpler and easier to do, and you're only giving up a little speed in most scenarios.

I have a 7 RUM with a 28" barrel. More fun than a Barrel of Monkey's. It is way over bore and over board but it is the hottest 7 around. You will pay the price in barrel life. Necking down 300 RUM to 7 RUM is not hard so have no idea why guys say brass is hard to find. The 28 Norma suffers the same short barrel life as the 7 RUM and doesn't yield as good performance in 28 or 30" barrels. The 7 STW, 7-300 Win Mag Practical or even a 7 Rem Mag would be my choice if I was looking for something less over bore with much better barrel life and still very good performance. Basically you are picking between a Ferrari and a Corolla, both get you there it is just about how much fun there is in the getting there.

Last edited:
I purchased my 7Rum in the year 2000, it was the first rifle off the press at remingtons custom shop called the Alaskan wilderness rifle. It had a sporter barrel and a custom McMillan stock and shot lights out with the factory 140 partitions. I fired 100 of those and started reloading the 154 interbond. It would easily shoot 1/2 moa at a velocity of 3475. I have long range Blacktail and mule deer kills with that combo out to 991 yards. I shot that barrel out in around 700 rounds. Fast forward years later went with a Hart barrel and Berger 180's at a velocity of around 3280, very accurate and lethal. I am now on my third barrel this time a Bartlein at 27 inch and its shooting the 155 Hammer Hunters very accurate. What I would recommend for loading is keep the case fill up meaning choose a powder that fills the case at least 90%. Retumbo has been great for me. Also they like the heavy long bullets near max load. I treat mine like a high performance race car not a daily driver. I have a safe full of rifles and this one is the one I always take hunting. Knocks the daylights out of anything it hits! If your into the high performance calibers then go for it, but barrel life is an issue. I have no experience with the 28 Nosler but I'm sure its not far behind the Rum. Cheers and happy shooting, Jason

Wish i hadn't sold my 7rum......rem sporter stainless...shot great too....dead rocks at 777.....didnt care about barrel life either.....more of a plinker for me.....

If anyone is interested in a Sendero 2 7RUM, my brother has one he is willing to part with. I'd say round count around 100. No need for it and no where to shoot it for it's potential here in MS.

If anyone is interested in a Sendero 2 7RUM, my brother has one he is willing to part with. I'd say round count around 100. No need for it and no where to shoot it for it's potential here in MS.

Yes, interested. Photos, price, borescope pics .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts