7mm UM project need advise

308 nate

question #1 what velocity can I expect with a 180 grain Berger or JLK with a 36" barrel? my guestemation would be 3500fps. Am I way off?
question #2
I'm undecided on what barrel to buy.The barrel is going to be 1.250 for 14" And then straight taper to 1" at 36 "
here are the quotes I got
Krieger $372
Lilja $371
Pac-nor $345
I'm leaning twords the Krieger but what do you guys feel is best for the money
so here is the plan. Savage action(ya' I know I'm a Savage fan) 36" barrel
straight 1.250 bull for 14" then i'm going to make a liquide cooled barrel block 12" in lenghth,then cast an alluminum bench rest stock.(we have a small foundry) If the stock turns out the way I plan I may end up making more. All thought and ideas welcome.This is an experiment I am building for my father in-law.And when it is completed I'll post pictures and a review.
cool.gif

thanks to all you guys who make this a great long range hunting site!And thanks Len for starting it. i stumbled onto this site about 5 months ago and have visited here every day since.
smile.gif

Question #1 It might but seems a bit much. Hodgdon lists 3000 fps out of a 26" so 10 more could get you 250-500 depending on what "rule of thumb" you use for velocity gains. Some say 25, some 50 even heard a few say 100fps per inch gain.
Question #2 Krieger 7mms have been good to Len and I, however so has Schneider 7mm polyganol or the Broughtons are the up and coming new guys on the block. Lilja's are good barrels, but I haven't used any of his 7s. Have had so-so luck with Pac-Nors but not really hot or cold about them. Alot of help huh? All are good and if put together properly will shoot good.

I'm getting a comfortable 3,360 out of a 30" Krieger in 1:9 twist. 176gr Cauterucios over 5010 pulldown, R-P cases & a FC215M or an FC 210M seated .005" into the lands. You should be in the 3,500 fps range with a 36 incher.

I like the Krieger, but have a 30" Pacnor 3-groove waiting for the Krieger's throat to be mauled (it's been re-throated once, down to @28.5" now). The Krieger is an un-compensated heavy Palma taper, FWIW.
rolleyes.gif

also forgot to mention 1-9 twist or would I be better of with a 1-9.5 or 1-10 at that speed?
Also how will the bullets I mentioned stand up at say 3400-3500fps?
chris thanks for the other barrel suggestion I will give them a call.
Is poilganol rifling better for throat erosion ?
speebump thanks for the info.
smile.gif

Yes, the poly handles throat erosion pretty good.
I don't think the Bergers can handle that speed. The JLKs might but the Cauterucios definitely will and don't forget about the new 175 MK.

Nate/Chris,

I talked with Walt Berger a few years ago about the 180s & RUM velocities. He said another bullet with a tougher jacket would be advisable. That has since been confirmed by others. Nice fella and HONEST.

I haven't tried the Sierra 175s yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.