7mm RUM

dragman

Question is I have a Stainless 7RUM remington that I had put into a BDL stock just to have a cool looking different hunting gun. I am gonna make it my general carry gun cuz it's light and can basically handle anything I could ever need it too. I am torn on bullet weight and choice at the moment. part of me wants to stick to the heavier long range bullets I use with alomst all of my other guns. The other part of me wants to use a light bullet because this gun is gonna be 700 and under and I dont wanna have to mess with turrets or anything with this gun... the 140 Accubond going 3450-3500 would be nice and had my attention but I have not settled on anything.
thanks for any info.
Guns either getting sold or used I can't just let it set anymore

Have you thought of the 162 A-Max? It'll go a fair bit faster than 180's (mind you a fair bit slower than 140's) and you have a great B.C. I would think that you could approach 3350 with 162's.

I was shooting 140 sierras at 3500 fps using rl25 out of my 7rum and my longest kill was 700 yards. Ears in the bottom of the scope and pull the trigger out there. Very accurate; .3'/100 yard if I did my part.

I have it up for sale but if I don't get what I want for it I am gonna start loading for it. gonna try both the 162's and the 140's since I have both in the shop.

If you run fast and light; I would suggest something stouter than standard cup and core bullets.. 140 AB being bonded core would be a base minimum at the speed you'll be shooting. Unless all your shots are way out yonder where the bullet can lose enough speed to perform properly; then cup and core would be good. Never know when your kill shot will come at less than 100 yds... more often than over 400 unless you go out of your way to shoot from afar.

If you run fast and light; I would suggest something stouter than standard cup and core bullets.. 140 AB being bonded core would be a base minimum at the speed you'll be shooting. Unless all your shots are way out yonder where the bullet can lose enough speed to perform properly; then cup and core would be good. Never know when your kill shot will come at less than 100 yds... more often than over 400 unless you go out of your way to shoot from afar.
I would have gone the bonded bullet thing with my rifle too, but the S.O.B. wanted flat base bullets with that 1/2" jump to the lands, so that's what I gave it. The rifle blew the head dang near off a trotting deer at 200 yards(cross hair two inches below the nose, follow and pull the trigger :D) once because I wasn't about to put the bullet anywhere the the eating part. The whole off side of her melon was messed up on a rather big mule deer doe. The other kills I got with the rifle were all 1/4 mile or more so I really didn't care other than not in the meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.