7mm RSAUM questions?

That's pretty fat . About .0005 fat actually lol. Could very well CONTRIBUTE to a pressure issue. I would try some different bullets and see where I was. Something is off for sure. A lot of people run the SAUM over 3k with 180s BOOK BE DARNED.

I don't suppose someone has a few bullets they would sell me for test purposes or can you buy a few from somewhere? I would seem that would create an issue being a little fat and would also maybe explain the copper fouling a little more.

I don't suppose someone has a few bullets they would sell me for test purposes or can you buy a few from somewhere? I would seem that would create an issue being a little fat and would also maybe explain the copper fouling a little more.
All I have is 175 eldx. At least would show something. If it jumped 300 fps you would have an idea. Send me a pm I will send 10 free.

I sent you a PM. I really want to shoot the Bergers for the ballistic advantage over the a-max but it may not be what my gun likes.

The bullets I have measure exactly .2845? Is that an issue? That's with a digital micrometer. Checked it a second time with my Central Tool Mechanical micrometer and it reads the same?

I don't think it's dangerous or anything but I do think it could show increased pressure in certain setups.

What make barrel do you have? Wondering if its cut or buttoned.

I've also heard that small differences in reamer design have a big effect on pressure, performance, and case life in the SAUM and WSM cartridge families. An example, I had a 6.5x300 SAUM built back in 07-08. Always shot great for me but brass primer pockets would be gone around 4-6 shots with I believe around 55-56gr H1000. Now with the GAP 6.5 SAUM reamer design I can easily get 12+ reloads out of a case running the same velocities at around 60-60.5gr H1000 (+/- 30fps). Same redding FL dies I always used, almost the same freebore. Just a few differences in the reamer design somewhere made a huge difference.

I hope I can figure it out because this thing shoots and is an awesome gun.

I have struggled with my Savage 7mm RSAUM some too. Sounds like toddc is helping with a few 175 ELD-X.

I went down to my bench and mic'ed my 180 VLD Hunting slugs. I don't have a really good micrometer, but my dial caliper is good. Shows my bullets at exactly .284

If you are not 1/2 way around the planet, I too would be willing to share the love. I have some Norma 7mm RSAUM brass that are my rejects (sorted by weight out of a 200 lot of brass) Would you like heavy or light rejects? I presume, you would want the light end, for max case capacity. This would at least allow you to verify that your pressure issues are not case related.

PM me if interested.....

I hope I can figure it out because this thing shoots and is an awesome gun.

I'm still interested in knowing your chamber specs. Saying "It's throated for the 180 Berger" doesn't mean much to me. I have to know the numbers. There are some bullets in the 140-160 gr range that have longer bearing surfaces than a 180 gr Berger. A 175 gr ELD-X is .080" longer.

I am in the process of taking another .001 off the neck just to test. Not sure if that will help anything at this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.