7mm Remington Magnum

COBigJohn

Is the belted mag.....7mm Rem Mag on the upturn? Especially for ELR? The 195gr....over .7 bc bullets show promise.

I'm one to agree.

I just dropped the coins on Remington Long Range, 7mm Rem Mag and a Vortex scope.

At first I thought the 338 Lapua Mag was my huckleberry....but didn't like the recoil, so dropped back to the 300 Win Mag....and then went even less.

Watching "Mark and Sam after work"....on you tube and seeing their success with a 7mm rem mag at 2,700 yards....convinced me to forgo the big recoil of a traditional 1 mile gun and enjoy shooting something lighter, but still capable.

what ya think???? .284 at 3,000 fps a good deal?

I happen to like the 7mm Rem Mag with the Berger 195 a lot. I've got a couple of rifles set up for it. I'm getting 2850fps out of the 28" barrel rifle with an over max load (slightly compressed) of H1000 with the bullet seated just off the lands.

Reaching 3000 would likely need a 7mm-300WM or something similar (7SAUM maybe). N570 might be able to help bump the speed as well, but I'm happy where I'm at. I've shot to 1809 yards with it at an under 1 MOA target.

-David

A 3k 195 would scare the living daylights out of me out of a 7RM unless the barrel was 4 ft long lol. 2850 yeah.
That being said I just built a 27" 7SAUM running a 175 ELD-X at 3150 with 1 gr under max of H-1000 so WHO KNOWS?
I have waffled back and forth from the 22 cal to the 338 over the years and just got off of my 3rd or 4th 6.5 kick last week
I'm back on the big 338 again for round 8 or so and yeah it kicks toooooo much (only weighs 12lb I usually build them at 40 lb).
BUT if I'm shooting at FUR the 338 just keeps coming back. I fall in love with a 22 or 6mm or 6.5 or 7 or 30 cal for a while and then a deer takes a step at the wrong instant and I'm back on the 338 train again.
Now that the 375 is being properly supported by bullet makers I will probably head there next and then cycle back to something smaller when I haven't had to track anything in a while.

I think my cycles of bore size all relate to FORGETTING how much of a hassle it is to track a critter and how sorry I feel for one when I have to.

If I was just shooting rocks I'd probably run a 7mm-338 Lapua with a 195 and just order a barrel every other month but a 7mmRM would probably make more sense.:)

As of just yesterday I shot 2965 average fps over 11 shots with reloader 33 and 195s in my 7mm rem mag,under half Moa out to 1000.I really like the 7mm and I really like my 338. 26 inch obermeyer barrel 8.75 twist in the 7

I get great long range performance out of it with Berger 180's at 3050 and 168's up to 3150 with US869 and Remmy brass but it eats a ton of powder and case life is relatively short compared to my non-mags. Being able to take 1800m shots and have a supersonic bullet there is nice but honestly doesn't get done a lot. Most shots, especially those in competition are much shorter. The long bombs are much fewer. I'm happier to eat the 2-4 points at the long gongs and clean right up at the shorter distances with smaller 7mm's like 7-08 or .284win (thanks to match rules I'm stuck with .223 and .308 till next season). Apart from powder consumption, brass consumption and barrel life are the comparatively severe levels of blast and the not insubstantial recoil plus the gun weighs a usefully large number of pounds more than something in a .223 or .308 size action and sucks to carry on hiking matches. If you're more recreational then yeah up to about a mile. For really reaching out to 2k or better for recreation or anything else I don't think it's much more than a novelty and the .338LM and its ilk are better suited.

As of just yesterday I shot 2965 average fps over 11 shots with reloader 33 and 195s in my 7mm rem mag,under half Moa out to 1000.I really like the 7mm and I really like my 338. 26 inch obermeyer barrel 8.75 twist in the 7

These NEW powders keep surprising me. That is smoking for a RM capacity case with a 195 and that much bearing surface. Congrats.

That's what I was thinking,I just have a cheap chronograph but drops seemed confirmed and actually at 945 yds I had to cal mv on kestrel because It said I needed like 19.25 moa and I think I was dead nuts with 18.50 or 18.75 moa with a corrected mv of 3008fps. I have a 7-300 that is just about toast with just over 800 rounds down the barrel and I was only getting 3020 with pressure in a 28 Krieger 5r. When the weather clears up I am going out to 1720 yds and try to confirm some drops there.And Ballistics Guy,I hear you but my rigs are not competition and just to hunt,bang steel,rocks and what ever. But I do need to get a 6.5 or something else to play with so I can play while I'm getting barrels for the others replaced.But I will always have a 7 of some sort with the Good Lord willing.gun)

I love the 7mm with 180 and 195 berger behind h1000 powder been as high as 69 grain h1000 but back off to 68.2 with 195 and 69 with 180

Good Morning, COBigJohn,

Seems as though everything hunting involves compromise. But I might be ahead of myself. Is your 7MM Rem Mag to be used for hunting or target shooting?

I know that this is a long range hunting forum. However, I've gotten the impression that many have long range hunted only in the abstract. Reality is a whole lot different. Moreover, long range can vary from hunter-to-hunter. For me, it's ~400 yards, and that's under perfect conditions.

Some 25 years ago I bought a Sako AV Classic in 7MM Rem Mag. I believe it's twisted at a ratio of 9.5:1. I do know that it'll shoot a whole lot farther than I'm capable. And it's a whole lot more accurate than I'm capable. Three shots touching each other at a hundred yards at about .25" is pretty darn good. And I reload for hunting, not target shooting.

From experience, a 160 grain Partition fired from my 7MM Rem Mag will kill huge bull elk dead as dead gets. All I gotta do is destroy a bull's oxygenating blood pumping apparatus, and he'll hit dirt.

My opinion is your 7MM Rem Mag will kill big game as dead as a .338 Lapua. In fact, big game used to die when they were shot with the 7x57, .30-30 Win, 6.5x55, .45/70 Gov't, the '06, and a whole lot of other similar cartridges. It ain't cartridge that kills big game. It's what bullets fired from them destroy that does.

I've seen well-put-up studly dudes flinch from bench shooting sporter weight .300 WM. I have an absolutely beautiful Belgian Bowning manufactured circa 1969 chambered for .338 Win Mag. I've fired it 3 times. That was over 30 years ago. I ain't fired her since. She's much too powerful for anything in North America. Maybe some day I'll get bored, put a scope on her, load some rounds for her, and send a few bullets down range.

IMO, right after a bad shooting rifle, flinching most negatively affects accuracy.

The compromise I ain't willing to make is weight. Lord knows, I've yelled words I didn't know I knew at my 10+ pound 7MM Rem Mag while climbing high ridges in Wyoming's Star Valley. After my second year of that torture, I went lightweight.

Last season I hunted mule deer antlers in Southern Utah where huge bucks are known to hole up. The area I hunt is just shy of 10000'. I hunted with my early 70's Model 700 .270 Win, which will shoot quarter-inch groups at a 100 yards and weighs about 2.5 pounds less than my Sako. As I know that you know, at altitude, toilet paper is heavy. When I commence to scaling ridges, I don't want to carry a 14 pound rifle. And then there's that stalking part, when you gotta climb to where big bucks bed, try to sneak up on 'em, and fire what will likely be a very fast shot as he senses .270 Win danger, jumps, and runs.

I guess that that was a winded way of opining that your 7MM Rem Mag was an excellent choice. There's magic in .284 caliber bullets.

BTW, I get a chrono'd 3100+ FPS with 160 grain Partitions with zero excessive pressure indicators using H-4831 & Fed 215 primers. I get 3000+ FPS using 175 grain bullets using RL-22, again with no excessive pressure indicators. I get 3200+ FPS using 150 grain Ballistic Tips and IMR-4350 powder & nada pressure. And my 7MM Rem Mag has a 24" barrel.

I just might standardize with 150 grain Partitions. The way I have it figured, they'll kill big game just as dead as 160 grain Partitions, which seems to be the 7MM Rem Mag gold standard elk bullet.

COBigJohn, I wish you complete success with your rifle, and I hope it creates many cherished memories afield for you.

Received the gun on Saturday. Mounted the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with a 20MOA base.

I stepped in to WalMart for some auto oil, and wandered by the gun desk and noticed that they had Winchester ammo on sale for $23 a box for the 175gr SP's. Since I had already purchased the Sierra Game King 175's, I thought these would be good 'break-in' rounds and similar enough to sight in.

Sunday, I went to the range. I shot 6 rounds, getting the gun close at 25 yards. I then moved out to 200 yds and shot 14 more rounds, cleaning the barrel every two shots (simply for good break-in). I was amazed that my 'out of the box' 700 with 'off the shelf' hunting rounds would do as good as they did. I shot a hole out of the target at 200 yards 1.5" in diameter. Can't wait to see what hand loads will do.

Yep, the trigger, as it is.....is complete crap. Just fine for a hunting trigger, but not for a 1,000 yard shot. I originally thought that I would work on the stock trigger, but a close friend convinced me to drop $190 on a Timney Calvin Elite Straight Trigger, which I ordered tonight.

Interesting about recoil..... I also took my Remington 721, 30'06 to the range to dial in a new scope....and the '06 has more 'felt' recoil than the 7mag. After 20 rounds through the gun, I am settling in to the recoil.....and no sore shoulder at all. I quit shooting as the wind started to really whip. I do want some more recoil management, though. First I will start with weighing down the stock. I'm going to 'channel grove' (Dremmel) the forend of the stock and add epoxy and lead shot. I am also going to fill the rear of the stock with construction adhesive and lead shot. Not sure how much weight I can add, but would love to get the gun to 13-14lbs, which (according to calculations) will bring the recoil down below a .243 hunt gun.

Anyway, I am just thrilled......am really looking forward to dialing it in and going to the 1k Steel Range.

I've noticed a major upswing in the use of this old warhorse...Brass availability is one without question, mild recoil compared to the big old 30's, a little cheaper to shoot by a nose, and a custom chambered 7mm mag with close tight necks is capable of extrodinary accuracy, much more than a factory cut....and most figured out no animals vitals can tell the 100-200 missing fps, could be it's like that old high school sweetheart you haven't seen in 20 years, sortta makes you wonder why you looked anywhere else !!!!!!!!!

I am toting a suppressed Tikka 7rem with a Vortex 6-24X50 Viper LR and achieving sub 1\2moa with 162gr ELD-x and 160TMK. with a corrected velocity of 3050fps using less than max H1000

Its been amazing(very dealdly) on ranch management hunts here in Texas on deer and pigs out to 750yds.

I have shot to 950yds with 1moa results and confirmed my drops at 1mile a week ago with a hits in no wind

Someone will have a hard time convincing me that the 7mm Rem mag isnt a good Long range caliber!

My Tikka is only twisted at 9.25:1 and if I build or re-barrel another 7rem I will get a faster twist for the 175gr. It would also be nice to shoot the 195bergers or the 197SMK's that I heard sierra is about to release!
Happy shooting
James

It's been a while since I visited the site here, as I got busy with work and the snow storms kicked up. But I have taken the gun to the range twice more and I have run 80 additional rounds through her. That Timney trigger is phenomenal. I left it breaking at 8oz and it is a feather.

I also filled up the stock butt with shotgun lead shot and construction cement and I Dremmeled out the forend of stock and added shot and epoxy, along with bedding the stock.

With the scope and bi-pod, it weights 15.2 lbs now and it is nothing to shoot 40 rounds.

Now I just need to load up my first batch of reloads with those 175 Sierra's and see how they do.

I recently received my Boyds stock for my 17WSM and with my Savage Model 12 in .223.... I now have three fun guns to shoot in rotation at the range.

Can't wait for the next, nice day to go to the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.