7mm Remington Ultra Magnum

Tom Brush

This is all new to me so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. I have looked at the 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum and wondered why some of the loading book companies will not list loads for it. I just purchased the latest Nosler book and it is not listed. I have also read that others will not develop data for it. Is this because it is a barrel burner or is there a safety factor involved?

I have searched for a links page on this forum but have not found one. I read about products and gunsmith services but I often cannot find a web site.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

I talked to both Sierra and Nosler, and both of them informed me they do not have reloading data yet for different reasons. Sierra told me they would never have data for this round b/c of too many detonation problems. Nosler told me that they do not have it yet b/c the first batch of brass they got was bad, and now that they've gotten new brass, they haven't had time to work up any data. I've personally had my 7mm RUM since it was first introduced, and they did have a brass problem with the first runs of factory shells. I had several of these shells split upon firing. They split right in the web area, and the splits were about 1" long. After this, I went and purchased a bag of brand new brass, and several thereafter the first, and the problem has yet to make an encore. I talked to Remington about this problem, but they merely stated that they were not aware of any problem, and if I did in fact have a problem with the brass to send it in and they would replace it. I never wasted my time. So to make a long story short, there are no problems that I can see now, just pay attention to the MINIMUM charge listed b/c if you load to little powder in a case this overbore, it could present problems. Also, the load data I started working off of can be had at www.hodgdon.com

The big companies that don't have data as far as I know are Nosler, Speer, Sierra(I'm not sure) and Ramshot.

I have data from Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant, Barnes, Swift, Hornady and Lyman.

There is no safety issue. The most common reason I've been given is that they feel it's similar to the STW and think there is no need to develop load data for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts