7mm Rem Mag

thats why i went 6.5 creed for a deer gun as i will practice alot more than i would with an uber mag of any short. elk different story but shot placement is number one on the list a gut shot animal with a 338 is a gut shot animal with 243.

The OP asked....

Enough to kill all north americas big game out to 1000 yards? Some say go with .300....

That would include Elk, Bear, Moose and Caribou to 1000 yds. The 6.5 Creed would not be my choice. The 300 WM would be the minimum.

Shooting a 6.5 assures you better shot placement than a 300 WM???

You might want to read this thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

1k is .30 cal and up territory. You can do it with a 7 or even .270, but why? I'd rather be overkill at close range than underkill at longrange.

With the above stament in mind, I would still go for the 7. If your new to the game, you will want a back up/deer gun gun that doesnt need to shoot that far. A 7 Rem is awsome to 850-900, and will only be better eith the 195 hybrid. it doesnt need a break, is shorter and cheaper to shoot. I would personally go for the 7WSM or .270 WSM just for the slightly shorter tube and sexyness.
This also means that when you want to get serious and step into the .338 or .375 range that you know all the components for your build becasue you have picked apart all the short comings with your now "backup rifle".

I have a .338 RUM and love it, but I am going to buy a Senduro or M70Coyote lite in .270WSM, 7 WSM or 7 Rem just for something a little smaller that doesnt break the bank so bad and is a little easier on the meat up close.

Might open up a can of worms here, the caliber anybody chooses to shoot is their own choice, but if you don't have good bullet placement, the animal still suffers!

DT

I've been struggling with good shot placement for years and I will always struggle. I've tried to perfect shooting skills as best as I can but one element I have continually struggled with, Mother Nature. Can't count how many times old Mother Nature has decided to change wind direction or some other unforeseen elemental about the time "I think" I have it figured out. Unfortunate results are shots or spotter called corrections not in tune to current conditions resulting in hits on the edges or just outside the edges of vital zones. With this said I don't believe, and this is just my opinion, there is such a thing as overkill. Why not choose a ballistics platform that will allow for delivery of higher energy if the other characteristics of ballistics performance are not degraded?

Doesn't matter what you shoot,6.5,7mag,300,338,or whatever, nothing assures anybody of correct shot placement,,!! The Shooter does!! Safety,Practice,Research,being comfortable with what you have chosen to shoot! I think the Man is more or less asking about a 7mag or 300mag up to 1000yrds! Not more than a 1000yrds! Up to 1000 yards 7mag,300,338,6.5 will pretty much work. Shot Placement is the Key!!!

I've been struggling with good shot placement for years and I will always struggle. I've tried to perfect shooting skills as best as I can but one element I have continually struggled with, Mother Nature. Can't count how many times old Mother Nature has decided to change wind direction or some other unforeseen elemental about the time "I think" I have it figured out. Unfortunate results are shots or spotter called corrections not in tune to current conditions resulting in hits on the edges or just outside the edges of vital zones. With this said I don't believe, and this is just my opinion, there is such a thing as overkill. Why not choose a ballistics platform that will allow for delivery of higher energy if the other characteristics of ballistics performance are not degraded?

Can't really argue that point! Great point! IMHO We all struggle at some point. Overkill?? What is Overkill?? If one person likes one caliber an another person likes something else, where does overkill come in to play? If it was a perfect world everybody would shoot the same thing! Then we wouldn't have anything to talk or debate about!! Didn't meen to step on anybody's toes!! If I did,I do humbley apologize!!

DT

A lot of good food for thought floating around! This will be my first LR gun. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil, doesnt need a break (money saved). I agree that the most important aspect of this whole topic is SHOT PLACEMENT. Im sure once i have become competent at shooting long, i will become consumed with shooting longer as most people probly do. But SHOOTING is the key word. Shooting over 1000 sounds interesting but personally im not sure shooting animals over 1000 is something i want to do. So im thinking the 7mag is a better choice for me, but.... i could go bigger and in turn go longer if i should choose to if i went with a larger magnum. BTW i will be using this rifle to shoot all big game that i choose to chase throughout the years.

Southpa - you're having the 1-gun battery dilemma most everyone struggles with eventually. Lots of threads on this very topic.

I'm a lot like you, though a little more conservative in going long. Of course shot placement is everything, but it's also necessary to have enough hammer for the nail....

For distances out to ~800 for elk/deer/speed goats (anything except things that can bite back), I've pretty well decided on staying with 7mm. I have a Rem Mag currently, but am saving up pennies to have a 7mm/300 built for the extra margin of HP to that distance.

For longer than that and at elk sized game and bigger, I think a fast 338 is the right medicine. It's another rifle, but that distance/hunting is another game altogether.

However, these are just my thoughts/opinions and other folks have their experiences to guide them.

This article influenced my thinking immensely. I don't have the expertise to "prove" or dis-prove what Bryan asserts, but he works in this stuff every day and his assertion seems reasonable to me.

I'm the same way. It made me rethink caliber choices. Now that Berger is making the 30 caliber 210 VLD Hunting and the 215 gr. and 230 grain Hybrids, I'd like to see Bryan Litz revisit the topic. I wonder is he would still reach the same conclusions.

I'm the same way. It made me rethink caliber choices. Now that Berger is making the 30 caliber 210 VLD Hunting and the 215 gr. and 230 grain Hybrids, I'd like to see Bryan Litz revisit the topic. I wonder is he would still reach the same conclusions.

If you haven't already done so pick up or borrow a copy of Bryan's new book "Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting." He uses mostly computer analysis with some actual field testing for ballistics comparison for not only target shooting but also for long range hunting.

It's well worth the read especially the shot probability analysis with different calibers under different confidence conditions. For the most part as you move through the book from small to bigger calibers probability increase along with distance.

Shooting a braked 300 WM will be cheaper than shooting a 7 RM in the long run once you start burning out barrels.

Anyway, It'll be a good rifle for starters. Once you take a couple of LR shots on game you'll understand the benefit of a brake.

Good shooting

Yes 7mm mag will work and it does not have to be 18lbs to be accurate. A light rifle can shoot very well. I have never noticed a difference between a 7mm and a 300 win for killing and I have shot many big game animals with both at short range and long range.

I say just build you a 7mmSTW and be done with it. greater capacity than 300 WinMag, and a 7mm Bullet. Flatter, faster, more KE, insane trajectory, and highly underestimated since people seem to be on this "big-bore" overkill fad right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.