7mm Rem Mag with 200gr Wildcats

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by adam32, Dec 7, 2012.

1. adam32

adam32 Banned

I've been needing to build a 7mm to shoot all these bullets I have and ordered a stock last night and have an action coming today so it's finally time to get this thing done! I was going to do a 7mm RUM or 7-338 Lapua, but its a 30/06 action so I'm thinking the 7 rem mag might be better for overall length in the magazine...

Thoughts?

2. banjo318

banjo318 Well-Known Member

though i don't have allot of experience with this cartridge, i did get a deer this year with it, i got it in the head (scope must have been bumped) and it knocked the horn right off its head about 15 yards away with a 150 grain ballistic tip from nosler. if you dont call that knock down power i dont know what is. also it was at 200 yards away. I would like to know where you got those 200 grain bullets i can only find 180 grainers from sierra. i would like to know because im gonna go elk hunting next year and would like the peace of mind that im not gonna have to deal with a running bull.

EXCELLENT CHOICE :D
    gun)

3. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

You might look into a 7 practical, 300WM case necked down to 7mm, little extra powder capacity, or a 7STW might work also. With a bullet that heavy I think you'd want as much powder as you can get, I feel that it's just beyond the point of diminishing returns with the 7mag.

Banjo the 7 is plenty, bullet placement is what will put it down right now or not. I've never had an elk go more than a few steps,whether it was my 7mag or the 270.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

From Wildcat Bullets (www.wildcatbullets.com)

5. adam32

adam32 Banned

Yup...Paul sent me about 300 of them to try out right after he got up and running...they didn't stabilize in my 7mm Rem Mag so it's time to build another 7mm after I finish this 6.5x284 I just started on... :D

6. Movin

Movin Active Member

I have been waiting for the berger 195's and have also been watching for the
    7mm Sin from Sin arms .

7. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

I talked to the fellow at Sin arms last week. The 7mm Sin got derailed by the 6.5. Had a client that was really excited to get the 6.5 so that has held up the 7mm while he worked on that project. He has a couple of 6.5's built and working on a 3rd. When the 7mm becomes available would great to try as they are designed to work with a standard 06 case length action. Bruce

8. adam32

adam32 Banned

What's the 7mm Sin based on?

9. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

I believe it is a shortened RUM case to standard mag length.

Nathan

10. TheFishBox

TheFishBox Well-Known Member

How are you guys getting the wildcat bullets? When I go to the link it just says coming soon. Is there a way to get these bullets?

11. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

12. adam32

adam32 Banned

So it'll be about the same as a 7mm Dakota then?

13. adam32

adam32 Banned

I got them right after Paul bought the company from Richard Graves. Paul sent them to me to test. Maybe try emailing him, I think he's up and running...

14. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Paul ripped of a lot of people, don't know the reason could have had family issues or financial issues but shortly after paying for my bullets he could not be reached in any manner. I would not base any build of a Wildcat bullet I don't believe they exist!!!!!!