7mmRUM 200gr Wildcat?

DanielLudwig

has anyone here tried a 7 Ultra with Richard's 200gr. bullets? just wondering what kind of velocity one would be able to squeeze out of this combo in a 28-30" tube?
thanks!
later
Dan

I think the issue is one of barrel twist, not velocity.

Dave Wilson has a 7 Rum with a new Lilja fast twist or at least he has the parts to put one together. Don't know what bullets he has gotten around to shooting.

so how fast of a twist does it take to stabalize the big 200's? i know most outfits make a 8 twist, but as of now i only know of two companies making 7 twist barrels, Lilja(3 groove) and Pac Nor(5 or 6 groove, cant remember which)
thanks for the info!
later
Dan

SS7MM was using a Wby with a 1-10 twist and while the bullet wowuld group it was not fully stabilized and would not get stable.

This is the main discussion

and while things seem good at that point there are later reports that things were not good enough.

Probably you should just email Richard. As I understand the situation, the Lilja barrels were developed specifically to stablilize this bullet in three way agreement betweeen Richard, Lilja and Kirby.

Guys:

My 7mm Am and Kirby's newest 7mm Am both use the Lilja 3 groove, 30", 1-7 barrels. A 1-8 barrel would probably work fine for the 200 grain Wildcats but the 1-7 gives you a buffer, so to speak, for now, with the 200's. The 1-10 just couldn't reliably stabilize the big slugs and things were just too inconsistent to be reliable.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the 200 grain 7mm Wildcat ULD RBBT is the heaviest there will be. If I was gonna get a new barrel, and I had the horsepower to handle the biggest 7mm slugs, I'd make it a 1-7. In the coming months you won't be disappointed.

Kirby, Richard and Dan recommend the 1-7 and if it was me, I'd look at the developments in the last few months, read between the lines and then understand their reasoning. I'd bet that those of us shooting the big 7mm slugs, and have the right barrel twist and horsepower to handle it, are gonna be even happier in the upcoming months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.